Good Shepherd Convent

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Speedy65

Good Shepherd Convent

Post by Speedy65 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi, my nanna was sent to live at the Good Shepherd convent in Colinton, Edinburgh when she was a small child. I thought that this was after her mother died in 1913 but although the rest of her family appear in the 1911 census, she isn't included and only one other Hannah Sweeney appears on the census. She is not related to me. Would the convent have to complete the 1911 census or would the information about residents be confidential? Does anyone know about the convent in the early 1900's please?

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Good Shepherd Convent

Post by AndrewP » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:05 pm

The residents of the convent should have been listed like any other household. It should be in Colinton (RD 677), enumeration district 3.

Some of the last residents taken in there were the Vietnamese boat children, at the end of the 1970s. I remember them from Firrhill High School, which I was attending at that time. The convent was demolished a few year later and replaced by houses.

All the best,

AndrewP

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:28 am

If these items in The Scotsman are anything to go by it appears that there was no Convent of the Good Shepherd at Colinton until 1921.

The Scotsman, (Edinburgh) 3 September, 1921.
ADVERTISEMENT.
Convent of the Good Shepherd, Colinton.
The Sisters of the Good Shepherd having opened a Home for Girls and Women at the above address, are now prepared to undertake Laundry Work. All orders will receive careful attention.

The Scotsman, (Edinburgh) 5 October, 1928.
RESCUE WORK
EXTENSION OF COLINTON HOME
THE importance of reclamative and protective work among young girls in our great cities requires no stressing. Those who are most familiar with the problem know that there are always far more cases needing special care than can ever he accommodated. They therefore welcome any contribution that is made to ease their burden. In this connection it is interesting to note the considerable extension which is being carried out at the Convent of the Good Shepherd out at Colinton, Midlothian. The mansion house of Woodfield was acquired by the Roman Catholic Order of the Good Shepherd in 1921, as a rescue home for women and girls in need of protection and reform. Since that date it has been quietly carrying on its work, no fewer than 270 girls having passed through it in that time. The number at present undergoing training is 53, but when the present structural additions have been made it is hoped to find room for probably over 100.
The Convent stands in its own spacious grounds of 29 acres, facing the Pentland Hills, the gardens sloping on the north side to the Water of Leith. A long avenue leads to the substantial three-storeyed house, before which stretch wide lawns, with shrubs and trees, where it is proposed one day to build a church. The building at present in course of erection consists of an entirely new wing begun in March of this year, also three storeys in height and measuring 80 feet by 30 feet, with an adjoining laundry measuring 100 feet by 30 feet. Mr W. Y. Devlin, A.R.I.B.A., Aberdeen, is the architect.
The girls are brought in to the Convent by workers of all kinds interested in their welfare, and except when they are on probation, the inmates come entirely of their own free will. No compulsion is exercised to get them to stay. The length of stay varies with circumstances, but is generally about two years. During that time they are under fairly severe discipline, and have to work hard, each in her Dutch cap and print dress, taking her full share of household duties, and learning to be an efficient laundrymaid and needlewoman. The object of the training given, besides helping the girls to develop into good and useful citizens, is to fit them for domestic service and to help them eventually to find suitable employment. Provision is also made for after care.

All the best,
Alan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:55 am

How old would she have been in 1911? It is possible she was with relatives elsewhere-- Ireland? England? Also, don't forget in your searches that often Hannah and Anna are interchangeable.

All the best,
Sarah

Speedy65

Post by Speedy65 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Blimey, the 1921 thing throws a spanner in the works somewhat! I have been told that she was raised in a convent as a small child and I was sure it was in Colinton. I've just spoken to an uncle and he's told me that she went to a place in Laureston Place. I dont know which part of Edinburgh this is in though so will have to see what information comes to light! Thank you for helping me out people! x

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:09 am

Hi Speedy65,

See viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16476 for replies on the St Catharine's Convent of Mercy in Lauriston Place.

AndrewP

Speedy65

Post by Speedy65 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:22 pm

Oh my goodness, how frustrating are family members! Haha. I have now spoken to 3 of my Nanna's children regarding the name of the convent that she was sent to as a small child and I have had 3 different names! Ok, has anyone heard of the Poor Clares Convent?

Thank you

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Hello Speedy,

After fossicking about in the newspapers the situation appeared to be thus:

The Convent of Poor Clares (Colettines), was at Mount Alvernia, Lasswade Road, Liberton, Edinburgh. It was a Contemplative Order and was established there in 1898. By 1938 it seems there were 16 Intern Sisters who had taken vows of poverty, chastity, obedience and enclosure. There were also 5 Extern sisters who had taken vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience. It seems the Externs did the work, and the Interns did the praying.

It doesn’t sound to me like the sort of place you would send a young child, but I could be wrong.

All the best,
Alan

Mark Crawford

Post by Mark Crawford » Sun May 24, 2020 11:25 pm

My sister was sent to live at the Good Shepherd in Edinburgh at age 1 in 1952. The record indicates the following "Good Shepherd Convent located at Woodhall Drive."
Does anyone have any pics of the convent? I assume it has long gone but would like to see what it looks like.
Does anyone have the actual address of the place?

Thanks in advance

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon May 25, 2020 2:42 am

Hi Mark,

The convent was demolished in the early 1980s and about 200 houses were built on the site. The only pictures that I can find online are an a couple of websites (with the same three pictures):

https://canmore.org.uk/site/157203/edin ... d-shepherd
https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/record/h ... erd/rcahms

The main building was a former mansion house called Woodville, later Woodfield, built in (I think) the 19th century (certainly prior to 1860). The Catholic Church setup the convent there in 1926 and added a chapel, a laundry and other buildings.

It can be seen on the following Ordnance Survey map showing a comparison to the current roads and buildings.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb

All that is left of the convent is a small cemetery with a memorial stone in it, in woodland behind the houses. I walked round that on one of my recent local walks.

All the best,

AndrewP