1911 census help please

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

crayspond

1911 census help please

Post by crayspond » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi all at TS,
Happy New Year :)
I had 27 credits and have blown them all in a few hours (5 were a mistake as i tapped my mouse by accident) :(
I am looking at my grandmother's first family to James McCarron. I have been trying to find them on the 1911 census without much success. Her name was Ann or Annie McCarron married 1903 (age 17) to James in Glasgow in Gorbals. He died in 1916 on a bench from an injury from a piece of shrapnel lodged in his abdomen while shot in WW1.
There were 4 children Bridget, Rose,Ann and James. Bridget was first born in 1906 in Gorbals and James was last in 1914 (there may have been a few who died in between).
I have looked at a few for Bridget as i know her age but none seem to fit.
Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
Ailsa

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: 1911 census help please

Post by AndrewP » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:33 pm

Hi Ailsa,

I see James, the father, in the 1911 census with his mother, step-father and younger brother. As you know his age on his death certificate, you should find his census entry easily in the right area. His wife and children were not at that address.

On looking for the rest of the family, I searched separately for the children and for the mother and didn't find them. I could only go by the two children whose births I could find as you never gave any information of what age they should have been at the time of the 1911 census. The births I found were Roseann (Jan-1905) and Bridget (Sep-1906). Annie's death was informed to the registrar by son James. None of the children were witnesses on their mother's re-marriage. In the 1911 census, Annie was not at the address where they lived at the time of James (snr)'s death [same address as she had upon her subsequent re-marriage].

When were the other children born?

All the best,

AndrewP

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for the quick reply - i had a written note in my file with a rough outline of the family names and date of births. I only checked the birth cert of Bridget (27/9/1906 as i know she was the oldest (living child) i assumed that i would find them easily on the 1911 census. My mum, who gave me the info seemed certain that Rose was 2 years younger than Bridget and Ann 2 years younger than Rose.
I will replenish my credits tomorrow and do some more digging. Annie's maiden name is Flannigan - maybe she reverted to that name for some reason. Why is it the ones you think will be straightforward never are !

Thanks again,
Ailsa

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:20 am

Hi Ailsa,

Sure enough, Annie is there in the 1911 census as Annie Flanagan, in her widowed father's household with her two children, and two of her brothers, a boarder and a visitor. Although listed by her maiden surname, she is noted as married 7 years, with 2 children born, both surviving. The handwriting has lead to the children being indexed as Roudl McCannon and Bridget McCannon. The children are both listed as "relative" rather than "grand-daughter".

So if her marriage produced any more children (presumably at least James), assuming all the information in the census given was good, any more children came after the 1911 census.

The visitor shares his surname with Annie's mother's maiden surname, and is of an age where I suspect he may be her late mother's brother.

All the best,

AndrewP

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi Andrew,
Thanks for finding her, i have looked at it - she must have been either living there or visiting her family. It looks like Surrey St.
It looks like Rose was born before Bridget - so mum was wrong with that bit of info! James was born 1914 so i assume Ann was born between 1911 - 1914. Her father James Flannigan was born in Ireland, Martin, her brother died in 1924 when he was working on a roof in Glasgow and fell off onto a spike. It went through his neck.
You are right about the visitor that was her mother's brother. Can you tell me what street James McCarron was living in with his mother in 1911? I think they lived for quite a while in Kinning St and wondered when she moved there.
Thanks for the help.
Ailsa

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm

crayspond wrote:Can you tell me what street James McCarron was living in with his mother in 1911? I think they lived for quite a while in Kinning St and wondered when she moved there.
Hi Ailsa,

He was at the address where one of the two daughters was born - in Eglinton Lane. For completeness of information, you should download all of these items for yourself. The other information given on these pages may all be part of the family's history.

Are you sure there was a Rose and an Ann? The 1905 birth certificate was for Roseann.

All the best,

AndrewP

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 pm

Hi Andrew,
I appreciate your help thanks. I know a bit about the family - and who the girls went on to marry. There was definitely Bridget, Rose and Anne - then Son James. James Senior died in 1916.
Annie married my granddad Thomas Beveridge in 1920 and they went on to have 5 children who i know about. My dad Thomas was born in 1924. Thomas Senior died in 1932 in Shieldhall Fever Hospital. I have spent years researching Beveridge and have spent a fortune on SP in the process! My research on Annie Flannigan goes cold once i have to go back to Ireland. I can see the same thing happening with McCarron.
I have a feeling Rose and Anne's birth certs will be more or less the same as Bridget's - which i have.
Many thanks,

Ailsa

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 am

Hi Ailsa,

There is a probable birth certificate for a Annie McCarron in 1913 in Hutchesontown, Glasow, but there is no certificate to download from SP until it has passed the 100 year closure. Then there is a probable for James in 1916 in Hutchesontown, but as above nothing to download for a few years yet.

All the best,

AndrewP