Manson's of Bower ~ Dunnet ~ Wick

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Indiana.59

Manson's of Bower ~ Dunnet ~ Wick

Post by Indiana.59 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi
I am looking for information in regard of my great grand mother a Charlotte "Lottie" Manson B: 26th Feb 1897 ~ Dunnet ~ Caithness

M: Berwick upon Tweed ~ to a Thomas Purves Johnston from Berwick upon Tweed B: May 1893

Charlotte D: 10th Feb 1924 ~ Edinburgh

And her young daughter Christina Margaret or (McLeod) Johnston B: Sep 1922 ? ~ D: 25th May 1924 ~ Wick ~ Caithness

Charlotte's father a James Manson B: 9th Aug 1866 ~ Bower ~ Caithness

Her Mother B: 1868 ? ~ Helen Manson "nee" Matheson ~ Cannis Bay ~ Caithness

M: 6th June 1890 ~ Cannis Bay

On trying to find Charlotte's birth Certificate on Scotland's people I am directed to a birth certificate of a "Janet Manson" with parents of the same a :

James Manson (Ploughman) + Helen Manson Ref No: 043/00 00571 ~ Wick ~ Caithness

James and Helen's children are listed as follows :

1) James Manson B: 15th July 1890 ~ Cannis Bay

2) Christina McLeod Manson B: 8th Sep 1892 ~ Olrig ~ Caithness

3) Margaret Elizabeth Manson B: 7th Oct 1893

4) William Manson B: 1st Jun 1895 ~ Dunnet ~ Caithness

5) Charlotte Manson B: 26th Feb 1897 ~ Dunnet ~ Caithness

6) Annie Harriet Manson B: 29th Aug 1898 ~ Wick ~ Caithness

7) Alexander Manson 2nd Apr 1904 ~ Olrig ~ Caithness

8) Angus McLeod Manson B: 18th Apr 1909 ~ Olrig ~ Caithness

Also listed with this is a: Alexander Manson B: 1875 ~ Olrig ?

---------

James Manson father to Charlotte birth certificate shows his parents as James Manson + Margaret Johnston M: Dec 1949 . . .

But other records show this marriage as 8th Dec 1851 ?

I have no birth date for James Father of James born 1866 and there is a long time passed between this marriage and James Manson being born 1866

The only other information I have is a : William Manson + Margaret Henderson 1824 presumed marriage of . . .

Any living relatives that have information that they are willing to part with will be gratefully received . . .

My grandmother: Eleanor Johnston Shaw B: Edinburgh daughter to Charlotte Manson B: 26th Fed 1897 ~ Dunnet ~ D: 10th Fed 1924 . . .

My interest here was when young Charlotte died just aged 24 at Edinburgh was she then cremated or buried ~ if buried where ?

Also Christina Margaret Johnston was returned to Wick presumed to have been looked after by near relatives to herself ~ was this young child who then died then buried and if so where . . . ?

Many thanks, Indiana . . .
Last edited by Indiana.59 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Manson's of Bower ~ Dunnet ~ Wick

Post by AndrewP » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:21 am

Hi Indiana.59,

[TS_welcome]

Charlotte Manson, born 26-Feb-1897, was born in Wick Parish (see her birth certificate and the 1911 census [showing all 8 children in the household]). Her birth certificate was initially registered as Janet, but there is an RCE (an entry in the Register of Corrected Entries), showing a change of name from Janet to Charlotte. The RCE can be downloaded from ScotlandsPeople; accessed from the same page as her birth certificate.

Charlotte's father, James Manson (1866-1926), was born to James Manson, who was contracted to marry Margaret Johnston(e) on 08-Dec-1851. The 1851 record can be found on ScotlandsPeople amongst the OPRs. I would take the 1849 as a mistake on the father's part when registering the birth.

The death certificate for James Manson senior shows him to be the son of William Manson and Margaret Henderson. The 1824 marriage record of William and Margaret can be found on ScotlandsPeople in the OPRs.

Does that help?,

AndrewP

Indiana.59

Post by Indiana.59 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:52 am

Wow Andrew

Yes the information is a great help . . .

I downloaded Charlotte's/Janet's certificate some time ago and yes I could see some kind of amendment but was unable to make it out . . .

But with your help I can see I can get that amended as a separate statement . . .

And with help regarding marriage date of Charlotte's parents helps a great deal too that it is 1851 not 1849 . . .

I was unaware of Jame's death year so this is a help too in possibly finding a grave where I might just might find Charlotte and her young daughter Christina . . .

As Charlotte herself died in Edinburgh it may just be possible that she was taken up to Wick to be buried whilst dropping off her young daughter to be looked after by relatives . . .

The census "Brill" this will fill in near birth years for all of Charlotte's brother's and sister's which will help me find if any more of her brothers or sister's came across the border into Northumberland . . .

As one brother came for sure "Angus McLeod Manson" who died quite young if I am correct . . .

Given with your help I now know I am on the right track . . .

Look forward to finding young "Christina's" death certificate . . .

And many thanks, Andrew for your help and very prompt reply . . .
Last edited by Indiana.59 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:14 am

Hi Indiana.59,

I took a peek at Charlotte's death certificate. She died in Pilton Hospital (later known as the Northern General Hospital). That hospital was for infectious diseases, primarily tuberculosis, which goes along with Charlotte's cause of death. Her usual residence was given as "4 Tynecastle Place, Edinburgh". If she was buried locally to there, then there are two cemeteries to consider - Dalry Cemetery and North Merchiston Cemetery. If she was taken north, then you have various cemeteries to consider in Caithness, as the family seems to have moved around the parishes there - Bower, Olrig, Canisbay and Wick.

I see no sign of a funeral notice for Charlotte in The Scotsman archives.

All the best,

AndrewP

Indiana.59

Post by Indiana.59 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Again Andrew many thanks . . .

If Charlotte's had any form of infection then she may well have been cremated . . .

Dairy cemetery would have been the closest if I remember . . .

But all would depend on if cremations could be dealt there at that time . . .

My thought was if Charlotte died so soon after the birth of her baby girl that it may well have been septicemia as most common in her day . . .

but now the thought widens . . .

As Thomas would have had to carry on working to support his other 2 children ~ then it would have been only right that relatives somewhere would
have had to step in to look after little Christina somewhere ~ In all I expected this to be in Edinburgh itself ~ not sure where I saw the details to the
death being in Wick . . .

4 Tynecastle place was Thomas's residence at the time of marriage . . .

And our lot resided at "30 Golden square" ~ Berwick . . .

And with my Thomas P Johnston being born in May of 1893 . . .

But the problem that now arises for me is to just where Thomas's family originated from . . .

Do we have any connection to "Glasgow" as it is common knowledge that that "residents" of the "Orkney isles" chose "Glasgow" as one of the places of setting up their new residence within the "Mainland" of "Scotland" . . .

"Thomas Purves Johnston" B: 8th May 1893 father is Alexander Johnston ~ Mother Jane Cockburn . . .

Alexander Johnston B: 20 Sep 1868 father is a "Thomas" and his mother an "Elizabeth Trotter" yet to be confirmed . . .

So what happened to my great grandfather "Thomas" . . .

Last noted living in "Edinburgh" - but I have no death date - does he have a grave to visit . . . ?

Cheers Indy . . .
Last edited by Indiana.59 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Indiana.59

How to Delete a message ?

Post by Indiana.59 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Any ideas . . . : )
Last edited by Indiana.59 on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indiana.59

Post by Indiana.59 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:29 pm

???
Last edited by Indiana.59 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IRC

Post by IRC » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:25 pm

You may be interested to know that one of Charlotte Manson's daughters is still alive. Jane Cockburn Johnston, my mother, was born in 1920. I understand that her younger sister Christina was sent up to live with the Thomson (Thompson?) family in Wick.The Head of the household in Wick was a monumental mason. However, after Christina died, Jane was sent up to 'replace' her. Jane was then 3 years old. She really enjoyed her life in Wick, and was most unhappy when she was brought back to live with her father in Edinburgh in her early teens. Like her mother she went on to become a nurse. She is now aged 95 but sadly declining due to dementia.

Charlotte's husband, Thomas Johnston was injured during the Great War, possibly the Battle of the Somme, and lost a leg. I think Charlotte was a nurse at the time.

Hope this is of some interest.

IRC

Indiana.59

Post by Indiana.59 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:31 pm

Hello
IRC wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:25 pm
You may be interested to know that one of Charlotte Manson's daughters is still alive. Jane Cockburn Johnston, my mother, was born in 1920. I understand that her younger sister Christina was sent up to live with the Thomson (Thompson?) family in Wick. The Head of the household in Wick was a monumental mason. However, after Christina died, Jane was sent up to 'replace' her. Jane was then 3 years old. She really enjoyed her life in Wick and was most unhappy when she was brought back to live with her father in Edinburgh in her early teens. Like her mother, she went on to become a nurse. She is now aged 95 but sadly declining due to dementia.

Charlotte's husband, Thomas Johnston was injured during the Great War, possibly the Battle of the Somme, and lost a leg. I think Charlotte was a nurse at the time.

Hope this is of some interest.

IRC
I am sorry I have not replied

Dear me how sad to have received such news at such a late date and how rude you must have of thought of me not to have replied - My Grandnother was Eleanor Manson Johnson born 1919 - on your mother, I am so sorry to hear of her dementia - but would like to hear so much more on Jane and hope you are still on site to reply - yes you have filled in an important piece of information in regard of Thomas and his lost leg as I spent many a time with him on Druridge Bay putting pebbels into the holes of his metal leg so it would rattle when he walked - but grew up wondering just who it was that I had done it too - happy memories there - but could have been Thomas as he would have been a good 70 years old by then - any infomation of what became of him and where and when he died would be a great help to me - I grew up thinking that Mrs. Shearer was Eleanor's mother so it was a great shock to me to find other wise and that my grt Granmother was, in fact, Charlotte who had died at such a young age with Thomas then going on to wed Mrs. Shearer herself a widow - I so hope you are still here to reply to me and so sorry it has taken me so long to find this thread again - kind regards - Indiana . . .
Last edited by Indiana.59 on Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cleo3

Post by Cleo3 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi Dianne,

I am trying to trace a possible grand son of Donald Shaw who I believe was called Robert and lives/lived in Workington, Cumbria - can you help me with this at all please?

Best wishes,

Sue