McCall from Renfrew .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

marva

McCall from Renfrew .....

Post by marva » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:58 am

I am looking for information on Robina McCall (McAll) b 29 Sept. 1892, Renfrew to John & Margaret (Park) McCall. I cannot find her marriage, if there is one or a death. In 1920 she witnessed her sisters marriage as Robina McCall. Also need death of Margaret McCall, b14 Aug 1855. She married Thomas McAulay 1874, Greenock West, they had 2 children and he died 1882. She remarried 25 Mar 1887 to John McCall, in Renfrew. They had 4 children, Have info on Margaret, John, Agnes. Robina is the twin sister of Agnes. Margaret was alive in 1910 when her husband died, but was deceased on 24 June 1920 when daughter was married. Any help would sure knock down this wall. Thanks.

DavidWW

Re: McCall from Renfrew

Post by DavidWW » Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:10 pm

marva wrote:I am looking for information on Robina McCall (McAll) b 29 Sept. 1892, Renfrew to John & Margaret (Park) McCall. I cannot find her marriage, if there is one or a death. In 1920 she witnessed her sisters marriage as Robina McCall. Also need death of Margaret McCall, b14 Aug 1855. She married Thomas McAulay 1874, Greenock West, they had 2 children and he died 1882. She remarried 25 Mar 1887 to John McCall, in Renfrew. They had 4 children, Have info on Margaret, John, Agnes. Robina is the twin sister of Agnes. Margaret was alive in 1910 when her husband died, but was deceased on 24 June 1920 when daughter was married. Any help would sure knock down this wall. Thanks.
Hi Marva

As Robina would have been 36 in 1928, the current limit of the on-line marriage records (due to be extended to 1929 in a few days hopefully), and only 61 in 1953, the current limit for the death records (soon to be changed to 1954), there's every chance that there is a record of her possible marriage and death in later years, always assuming that the events took place in Scotland.

As long as the informant had the information, and obviously if the event took place in Scotland, Margaret's death should be indexed under PARK, McAULAY, and Mc[C]ALL. Not unusual, however, for a child from a second marriage not to be able to recall the surname of the mother's first husband, but quite unusual not to know or be able to find her maiden surname. But nary a trace can I see........... and that included playing tunes with wildcards......... is there any suggestion that she had relatives outside Scotland, to whom she might have moved after the death of her husband?

Have you found the family in the 1901 census?

On the 1920 marriage register entry of Agnes (?) what is shown as her address? and what was the name of her husband?

Davie

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:05 pm

I've got Margaret's mother and father in Renfrew:

Dwelling: 1 Renfield Lane
Census Place: Renfrew, Renfrew, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203587 GRO Ref Volume 575 EnumDist 5 Page 35
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Alexander PARK M 60 M Renfrew, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Head
Occ: General Labourer (Out Of Employ)
Mary PARK M 60 F Port Glasgow, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Alexander PARK U 33 M Renfrew, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Iron Moulder
Robert PARK U 17 M Renfrew, Renfrew, Scotland
Occ: Iron Turner (App)

But there is only one possible couple that nearly fit the bill:

Dwelling: 4 Grace St
Census Place: Barony, Lanark, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203666 GRO Ref Volume 644-10 EnumDist 34 Page 22
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Thomas MC AULAY M 40 M Ireland
Occ: Ship Smith
Margaret MC AULAY M 30 F Renfrew, Renfrew, Scotland
Alexander MC AULAY 5 M Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Mary MC AULAY 1 F Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Daur

The ages are out and I can't find either of the childrens' births in Greenock (just a very quick check).

I had a wee look at the first marriage cert which was no use EXCEPT that one of the witnesses was a Robert Rodgers (I'm really well up on the Greenock Rodgers families) And noticed this:

Dwelling: 17 Nelson St (West)
Census Place: West Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203574 GRO Ref Volume 564-3 EnumDist 21 Page 13
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Alexander MC AULAY M 32 M Ireland
Occ: Iron Finisher
Mary Ann MC AULAY M 26 F Ireland
Robert MC AULAY 5 M Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Alexr. MC AULAY 3 M Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
John MC AULAY 1 M Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
George RODGERS U 22 M Ireland
Rel: Br In Law
Occ: Mason

Another quick check on this marriage cert gives the parents as Alexander McAulay (Blacksmith) and Isabella Boyd. So this is a brother.

Usually the earlier records are more reliable but on her first marriage cert Margaret's parents are recorded as James and Mary Boyd. I'd be inclined to favour the second which gives the father as Alexander.

I'm very interested in McAulays because the name is quite common in Rathlin Island, indeed a great many of the Islanders settled in or around Greenock.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:49 pm

Mary Boyd MACAULAY was born in 1880, and Alexander MACAULAY in 1876 in Greenock West. Both appear in the 1891 census enrty for the remarried Margaret, when her age matches that on her first marriage register entry ............

Margaret's 1855 birth record confirms her father as Alexander.

Davie

Andy

Post by Andy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Alexander Park, Margaret's father, shares a birthday with me 12th June. Unlike me he had seven siblings.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:59 pm

It may well be pure coincidence but FreeBMD gives the death of a 54 year old Margaret PARK in Preston in Mar Qtr 1910 (i.e. some time between Jan and Mar). Born in August 1855 that age is an exact match.

There's only one slight problem..... Margaret was the informant for her husband's death register entry in July 1910...... so that the above is useless info for this search, :? but thought I'd add it just to show how potentially misleading a coincidence can be........

Davie

marva

McAulay/McCall

Post by marva » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:22 am

Thanks everyone for your help. To clarify a few things I may not have been clear on: It was Margaret McCall's daughter, Margaret that married in 1920 in Ardrossan, Ayr.
Agnes was twin sister (died 23 July 1893) to Robina McCall (The gal thats been hiding from me)
I do have the 1901 Census: Lists, John, Margaret, Mary McAulay (My Gran), Maggie 13, Robina 8

Margaret Park McCall was my mothers grandmother, and I was told my mother was the first in her line to leave Scotland, and have found no trace of any other than my mom that left. (But then I also can't find her first crossing into Canada 1924-1927. Have found when she returned to Canada in 1933 and then to USA in 1935.

marva

McAulay/McCall

Post by marva » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:33 am

Andy,

Where did you find that Alexander Park had 7 siblings? I have not even been able to find his birth, just his marriage, so I do not know his parents names. Hope this is so, it sure will help.

I did find from Margarets birth certificate she was the 7th child. There was one living when she was born, a boy, have not found him. There were 2 boys 3 girls dead per Margarets Birth cert.I did find 2 more boys born after Margaret: Alexander 1858 & Robert 1863.

Andy

Post by Andy » Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:44 am

Since he was still alive in 1881 aged 60 (should have been closer to 69) I did a quick check on all the deaths of Alexander Park from 1881 - 1900 there was only one that looked possible.

That named his parents then a Parent Search on IGI gave the other siblings.

His wife's death is easy to spot too but, although the parents are named there is no record of her, or any other children, the record of her marriage only names a mother.

DavidWW

Re: McAulay/McCall

Post by DavidWW » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:19 am

marva wrote:Thanks everyone for your help. To clarify a few things I may not have been clear on: It was Margaret McCall's daughter, Margaret that married in 1920 in Ardrossan, Ayr.
Agnes was twin sister (died 23 July 1893) to Robina McCall (The gal thats been hiding from me)
I do have the 1901 Census: Lists, John, Margaret, Mary McAulay (My Gran), Maggie 13, Robina 8

Margaret Park McCall was my mothers grandmother, and I was told my mother was the first in her line to leave Scotland, and have found no trace of any other than my mom that left. (But then I also can't find her first crossing into Canada 1924-1927. Have found when she returned to Canada in 1933 and then to USA in 1935.
Marva

Where is the family living in 1901?, and what's the exact spelling of the surname used?, as I can't find then in the index.

Looks like the death of Margaret PARK has been missed out of the death register index!

And very probable that Robina Grieve Mc[C]ALL survived to 1954 or later.....

Davie