CENSUS FOR EAST LOTHIAN .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

neleh_22

CENSUS FOR EAST LOTHIAN .....

Post by neleh_22 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:24 am

Hi, Does anyone know if the Mitchell Library has the census for East Lothian, if so can I look by name or do I have to have an address.
Whitelaw,Hall,Kennedy,Gorman,Folan McLaughlan

mesklin

Post by mesklin » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:46 am

Helen

Would help if you told us which particular year you were looking for.

1881, 1891 and 1901 are available on-line at www.scotlandspeople.com

Earlier years are available, but not on-line.

No newer census info will not be available until it is 100 years old i.e. 1911 in 2011.

Mesklin

neleh_22

Post by neleh_22 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:52 am

Sorry should have said 1841/51/61/71.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:22 am

So far, the Mitchell Library's collection is for the counties of the west of Scotland. Their website says that they have an eventual intention to have the censuses for the whole of Scotland, but not yet. Their webpage can be found in the TalkingScot "Libraries" page under Glasgow City Council.

http://www.talkingscot.com/links/libraries.htm

In Edinburgh, these censuses can be seen in New Register House (£17 per day, but has a lot more than the censuses); and the Scottish Library within the Edinburgh Central Library (free of charge and open longer hours). In the same area is the premises of the Scottish Genealogical Society - I would expect they should also have the East Lothian censuses.

If you want to go to East Lothian, these censuses are available in the library in Haddington. They also hold some local census indexes. A link to their website can be found in the same list as above.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

neleh_22

Post by neleh_22 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:32 pm

Thanks for the information I plan to visit the library in Haddington on Tuesday as that is where my gr gr grandfather was born in 1828. Glad I found this site as I have used the SP one and got a lot of help from there, in fact I wouldn't be going to Haddington if it wasn't for the help I got there I had been looking for 2 years for him and on the SP site I had the information in 1 day have also found brothers and sisters as well so I think I will be going to Haddington quite a lot from now on.