1901 Census - Isobella Holmes-Cameron .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Riverplace

1901 Census - Isobella Holmes-Cameron .....

Post by Riverplace » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:40 pm

hi hope someone can point me in right direction to find this lady
she was born around 1880 - 1887 somewhere in sctoland
have sepent lots of £ on scotland site with no joy - anyone sugest anywhere else or have a look for her
any help gratefully received :D

DavidWW

Re: 1901 Census - Isobella Holmes-Cameron

Post by DavidWW » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:14 pm

Riverplace wrote:hi hope someone can point me in right direction to find this lady
she was born around 1880 - 1887 somewhere in sctoland
have sepent lots of £ on scotland site with no joy - anyone sugest anywhere else or have a look for her
any help gratefully received :D
Have you just searched on Isobella, or have you also tried Isobel or Isabel/Isabella ?

Davie

Riverplace

Isobella Holmes-cameron

Post by Riverplace » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:26 pm

yes - have spent lots looking at variations - of her forname and surnames - even somewhere to look for her birth would be a help - but again scotland site spent £'s going nowhere

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi Riverplace

Searching for one person with no clue as to location is formidable if not nearly impossible!! Do you have any other data on her....marriage date?...siblings?.....death info?.....did she stay in Scotland? Sometimes clues to place of birth are found in unusual locations!! In my own research I found the place of birth of an ancestor from a news clipping from a US newspaper writeup of her 50th wedding anniversary. Before that I only knew "Scotland". It made all the difference to unraveling a whole lot of mysteries!!

Jean

bobj-kirk

Post by bobj-kirk » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:55 pm

Hi Riverplace,

I have a suggestion you can try that won't cost much. I was just thinking that hyphenated names often come from adding the wife's name to the husband's. So, I looked for a woman named Holmes married to a man named Cameron. There are only three on all of SP statutory registry, 2 in 1920 and 1 in 1887. That marriage is:
1887 CAMERON LACHLAN HOLMES MARGARET GREENOCK OLD OR WEST RENFREW 564/03 0235

You might try to find these people in the later censuses and see if they have a daughter Isobella. The unusual first name of the husband should help.

-Bob

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:35 pm

bobj-kirk wrote:Hi Riverplace,

I have a suggestion you can try that won't cost much. I was just thinking that hyphenated names often come from adding the wife's name to the husband's. So, I looked for a woman named Holmes married to a man named Cameron. There are only three on all of SP statutory registry, 2 in 1920 and 1 in 1887. That marriage is:
1887 CAMERON LACHLAN HOLMES MARGARET GREENOCK OLD OR WEST RENFREW 564/03 0235

You might try to find these people in the later censuses and see if they have a daughter Isobella. The unusual first name of the husband should help.

-Bob
Bob

Neat idea, but, as so often is the case when you hit a workaround, there's a complication, - Lachlan is shown on the marriage register entry as a soldier, and doesn't appear in the 1891 or 1901 in Scotland, while the combination Margaret CAMERON is frequently occurring, even given the age from the marriage register entry!

Davie

maggie

holmes

Post by maggie » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:07 pm

hi have you tried Home i had a wedding cert that gave the name of Holmes for the grooms mother (having re-married) and couldn't find her anywhere i tried Home and found her. :)

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:18 pm

Hi Riverplace,
I have a lot of Holmes in my tree and you won'y believe the possibilities for variations.The most common I have found are Holmes,Holme,Home,Hume and Humes.
Happy Hunting,
HeatherK
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.