What to do Next!.....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Allison

What to do Next!.....

Post by Allison » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:41 am

Good day to everyone!

My family tree seems to be filled with people who didn't appear to want to be found and I am ready to give up on my grandfather's side altogether!!! But I am going to give it one last try this spring. My husband and I will be travelling to Greenock in May and it looks like I will have a day or two to do some family research and having been there last year and seeing the wealth of census records available in the Watt Library and other information, where to start?

I have struggled with my grandfather's side of the family with more stumbling blocks than anything but with the help of the census and the 1861 census have been able to find a little information. The 1841 census also provided information as well but the puzzle pieces are just not falling into place with conflicting information about where people were born. When I was in Greenock I trolled through St. Mary's Roman Catholic birth and marriage records for the 1850's and late 1840's and came up with nothing. I have searched the Episcopal church records and come up with nothing as well. And I can't seem to find marriage or birth records for any of the adults or children.

I have listed my interests before but I will list them again. If anyone has suggestions/recommendations, I would really love to hear them.

Joseph GILLESPIE. In 1841 census was 25 born in Renfrewshire and was a Blacksmith Journeyman (my 2xgreat grandfather)
In 1851 census was 40, born in Greenock and was a Blacksmith
In 1861 census was 50, born in Ireland and was a Blacksmith's labourer
In 1871 census was 61 and listed as a former Blacksmith. I didn't get a look at the the actual census, just the index available in Greenock which doesn't list place born.

In 1861, Joseph Gillespie is listed as living with his wife, Jean Gillespie, two children, Mary aged 7 and Elizabeth (my great-grandmother) aged 1 and two step-sons, Daniel McKellar aged 20 and Alexander McKellar aged 18.

I can't find a marriage for Joseph and Jean at all. I cannot find a baptismal entry at all for Mary nor a birth registration for Elizabeth. Birth entries for Daniel and Alexander seem to be scarce as well in the old parish records.

In 1838 there is a marriage between Jean McDougall and Alexander McKellar but the 1841 census does not list an Alexander and Jean McKellar living in Greenock or any other place in Scotland for that matter.

In 1876 Elizabeth married William Brown (my great-grandfather) at St. John's Episcopal Church, Greenock and the marriage certificate states that her father is Joseph Gillespie deceased and her mother is Jane Gillespie. So I searched for a death certificate for Joseph Gillespie and found one dated 1873 which lists him as a labourer and single but I'm not sure it is the right one. Does this mean that Jean and Joseph lived together for all appearances as husband and wife and never baptised/registered Elizabeth, Elspeth, Betty, Betsy, Eliza, Lizzie, or any of the other diminuatives that would go with that name.

A few years back, someone suggested the Poor Records for Elizabeth and there was one application made by her just before William died at sea, which I have. I have checked the names provided and addresses and they seem to be consistent with the marriage certificate and census records for Joseph but again don't provide many leads for Elizabeth and Jean.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to where I could go with all this when I am in Greenock I would love to hear them. I have searched and searched and searched and others have searched as well, but we are coming up empty on Jean, Joseph and Elizabeth.

Chaplain Allison Cline-Dean
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Interests: Brown, Gillespie, Jefferies, Parish, Harboard, Hall, Gray
In: Greenock, Partick, Alloa, Norfolk, Suffolk, Middlesex

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:48 pm

G'day Allison

Some comments first.

On the 1876 marriage register entry, Jean is shown as Jean GILLESPIE MS McDOUGALL.

For the 1861 census entry to make sense, it has to be the case that Jean was previously married to a Mr McKellar, and, indeed, there is a 04Dec1838 marriage in Middle or New Parish Greenock between an Alexander McKELLAR and Jean McDOUGALL

In other words, the presumption is that Jean first married Alexander, who then died, after which she married Joseph GILLESPIE, hence the 1861 census entry showing Daniel McKELLAR and Alexander McKELLAR as step-sons of Joseph, - their ages in 1861 fit in with the 1838 marriage, - but there don't appear to be any entries for their births/baptisms in IGI. You are fortunate in that it wasn't always the case back then that a step relationship was correctly shown as such.

Next, although the 1871 census entry for Joseph matches in terms of age, occupation and place, the entry relates to Greenock Poor House and Lunatic Asylum (it should be possible to look at the header pages for free to establish the institution involved, but it isn't, so that this has been reported to SoL/GROS), there's no guarantee that this is "your" Joseph. Likely, yes, but not certain, and I won't bore with you with some of the coincidences that I've some across over the years. :wink:

That written, the 1873 death register entry matches on age, and took place in Greenock Poor House, with the Informant being one Robert Blackwood, Attendant.

The only slight problem that I would have is why Robert Blackwood was apparantly able to give the names of Joseph's parents, but reported him as single, plus the fact that he is only shown as a labourer, not a blacksmith.

All things considered I think that this is your ancestor, but there have to be some lingering doubts.

Have you checked to see if the Greenock poorhouse records are extant and if there is a record for Joseph, and, possibly, Jane?

Have you managed to find a death record for Jane?

Davie

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:01 pm

Gidday again !

I've been reminded by another TS member that the records of the Greenock Poor House were sadly destroyed by enemy bombing action by the German Luftwaffe in WWII..........

Davie

PS In 1986 I moved back to Glasgow from Sweden and we bought a 1930s bungalow in Giffnock. There was only one problem, - the original loft skylight was rotten, and needed replaced. A builder was found, and I was called home one day to meet him. He was at least 70 but still very active........

After sorting out what need to be done with the rotten skylight, this was the conversation that followed .........

ME: BTW it looms like there has been a bit of damp from the roof some time previously?

BUILDER: Yes!.... Has no one told you ?

M: Told me what ?

B: Haven't you noticed anything unusual about the bungalow diagonally opposite you?

M: No!

B: It's a completely different design from all those in the rest of the street....

M: So ?

B: Aye weel, a Luftwaffe bomber in 1941 either got their navigation wrong or deliberately dropped their bombs short of Clydeside, but a string of bombs was dropped that landed in the street with the last bomb demolishing that original bungalow diagonally opposite you !! ..... and it was rebuilt after WWII, ....... but, at the time, there was blast damage that included many tiles on your roof, resulting in water penetration!

sporran

Re: Gillespie family

Post by sporran » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:08 pm

Hello Allison,

Jane died as Jane McKellar ms McDougall at Greenock in 1884, aged 71. The informant was daughter Mary Martin, which links to a marriage in 1876 at Greenock of Mary Gillespie and James Martin. There was no mention of Jane being married to Joseph Gillespie. The certificate states "married to Alexander McKellar" instead of "widow of", but this is probably an error. I found no suitable deaths of Alexander after the death of Jane, but evidence that he died earlier (see later).

I believe that the family are in Greenock for the 1871 census at 10 Sir Michael St or Pl as Jane McKellar 57, son Donald (aka Daniel) 32, and daughter Elizabeth 13.

By the way, Joseph Gillespie was recorded as blind in the 1871 census at the poorhouse.

Alexander McKellar married Susan McMonagle at Greenock in 1863, and gave his parents as Alexander McKellar (deceased) and Jane McKellar ms McDougall.

Regards,

John

Jack

Jane's birth year

Post by Jack » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:58 pm

Hi Allison,

If you could help on these -

John found Jean / Jane McDOUGALL as aged 71 on her 1884 DC - this makes for a birth about 1813.

The 1881 census as aged 63 would make it abt 1818 (if i've got the right Jane) - is this year consistent with 1861 & 1871?

Meant to ask - do you Alexander McKELLAR's occupation?

Ta - Jack

Allison

Looking for Suggestions on What to do Next!

Post by Allison » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:59 am

Hello everyone!
Thank you for all your suggestions! With Davie, John, and Jack's recommendations, some brick walls have come tumbling down like the walls of Jericho in the short period of time I have been on this board! All it needed were some other eyes looking at the same information I have been looking at for years! Blessings on you all.

In response to Jack, Alexander McKellar's occupation is listed as "seaman" on Jean/Jane McDougall/McKellar/Gillespie's death certificate.

I took a look at my 1881 British Census discs and noted that the only Jane/Jean/Janet McKellar born in 1813 is listed as a "Ladies' Nurse", a widow aged 68 years of age with a lodger, Jane McLaren, aged 60 and a white seem sower. Again a possibility through which I will do some more searching.

The only Donald/Daniel McKellar of about the right age on the 1881 Census is listed as a journeyman in Govan, but born in Greenock. He has a wife and several children, one of which is named Alexander. It's a possibility.

If any of you have further suggestions, I'll take them. I've done some more searching on Scotland's People and ordered certificates which will be here in time to take to Scotland on May 5th. Gives me a few more streets to look at and take pictures of when we are there.

I can tell you that for my father last March, it was very special to be able to walk on the streets where his father grew up. While none of the homes where his grandmother, Elizabeth, were still standing, some of the original row housing was there which gave he, my sister, my son, myself, and my new husband an idea of what it might have been like to grow up in the poor area of Greenock. To be able to walk on the streets as well and get a little of the view of what my grandfather might have seen was also special as was being married in the church he attended as a child. Thank you for all the assistance you have given me to date.

If you have any further suggestions, they will be gladly received.

Allison

Chaplain Allison Cline-Dean
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Jack

Confusion!

Post by Jack » Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:30 pm

Hi Allison,

I've near completely amended this after looking at some censuses - no use confusing you with people that aren't "yours".

I was looking at the wrong Jane McKELLAR age 63 in 1881 - can't see a Jane in Greenock, unless she is the 68yr old ladies nurse as Janet which certainly fits the age on the 1884 DC of Jane (71yrs).

Alexander McKELLAR as a seaman may explain his absence in 1841 - if this Jean & Daniel are his family, and 1851 likewise.

There is no Daniel & Alexander to suit in Greenock 1851, and this seems the only possible Jean / Jane McKELLAR. Seems like you'll need to wait until SP to put the 1851 All Scotland census online.
--
1841 cens 564 Ed 39 p 1 (St. Andrew, Greenock)
Vennel.
Jean McKELLAR, head, 22, independent, b RFW
Daniel McKELLAR, 2, ------ b RFW
-------------
1851 cens 564-2 (439) Ed 72 p 8 (West Greenock)
52 West Stewart St.
Jane McKELLAR, wife, marr, 31, seaman's wife, b Greenock
John McKELLAR, son, 6, scholar, b Greenock
Margt., McKELLAR, daur, 4, ----- b Greenock
Andrew McKELLAR, son, 9mos, --b Greenock
--------------
It might even be 2 different ladies, and no real way of knowing if one (or both) IS Jane McDOUGALL. But where's Daniel & Alexander in 1851? And what's happened to those other 3 children in later years?
--
Those other two names i'd previously mentioned were -
Robina McKELLAR 40 - was the mother of Donald 12 & Alexander 8.
Jean McKELLAR 34 - was born Condorrat.
--
So it's still all a bit mysterious (to me anyhow) at the moment.

Jack

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:20 pm

The Jane McKellar in 1851 was undoubtedly Jane McDonald who married John McKellar so (probably) not the right one.

This John and Jane did have a daughter, Jane in 1858 but no Donald/Daniel that I can see. In 1881 the most likely Jane is in Greenock, she DID have a son Donald and a daughter, Jane (born abt 1858) who was married to Thomas Nicol in Greenock in 1879 using the McKellar surname. That married cert should clear up whether this is your lot.

Dwelling: 18 Bruce St
Census Place: West Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203574 GRO Ref Volume 564-3 EnumDist 25 Page 9
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Jane MC KELLAR W 63 F Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Head
Donald MC KELLAR U 29 M Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Son
Occ: Baker
Thomas NICOL M 25 M Milngavie, Dunbarton, Scotland
Rel: Son In Law
Occ: Engine Keeper
Jane NICOL M 23 F Greenock
Rel: Daur
Jane Mc D. NICOL 11 m F Greenock
Rel: Grand Daur

The Grand daughter Jane McD Nicol could be McDougall OR McDonald so no help. A Jane McDonald Nicol was born in 1880 in Greenock so this lot are looking less hopeful.

Elizabeth and William Brown are perhaps in Nicholson Street:

Dwelling: 51 Nicholson Street
Census Place: West Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203574 GRO Ref Volume 564-3 EnumDist 16 Page 26
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
William BROWN M 32 M (Foreign), Jamaica
Occ: Fireman At Railway
Elizabeth BROWN M 22 F Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Robert BROWN 2 M Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Son
Jane BROWN 6 m F Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Daur
Mary CLARKE 11 F Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Visitor
Occ: Scholar

If I get the chance on Saturday I'll check out the Marine Deaths reported in the Greenock Telegraph to see if Alexander is mentioned.

John, What was the address given on Jane's Death cert in 1884? And was Mary Martin Present ? I can't see Mary Martin in the 1871 census.

Another problem arises:

There are two Jane McDougalls of the same age in Greenock:

Dwelling: 3 St Andrew St
Census Place: East Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203571 GRO Ref Volume 564-2 EnumDist 21 Page 14
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Jane MC DOUGALL W 70 F Inverary, Argyll, Scotland
Duncan LIVINGSTON U 26 M North Knapdale, Argyll, Scotland
Rel: Boarder
Occ: Master Flesher

And

Dwelling: 1 Manse Lane
Census Place: Middle Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Source: FHL Film 0203569 GRO Ref Volume 564-1 EnumDist 11 Page 10
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Jane MC DOUGALL W 70 F Leith, Edinburgh, Scotland
Occ: Ladies Nurse
Jane HUTCHISON U 21 F Greenock, Renfrew, Scotland
Rel: Grand Daugtr
Occ: Dom Serv

Jane Hutchison's parents were Alexander Hutchinson and Mary Simpson but Mary was born in Ireland.

This lot are a Headache and a half!
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Allison

Looking for Suggestions on What To Do Next?

Post by Allison » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:46 pm

Good morning!
Boy there are alot of names here and that can be confusing.

The Elizabeth and William Brown in 1881 are my great-grandparents with my great-uncle Robert and a baby daughter, Jane, who died in 1883.

The address given for Jane McKellar on her death certificate is East Show Street, Greenock and Mary Martin's address is given as 5 Inverkip West (I thnk it's West--difficult to read). Apparently Mary was present at the death. Is there an Inverkip Street in Greenock?

The 1841 Jane McKellar and Daniel aged 2 might be the right one as the 1861 census states that Daniel is 20 years at that time.

I take it that the Greenock Telegraph has records of Marine Deaths. How and where do I access Greenock Telegraph records in May as William Brown, my great-grandfather and Elizabeth's husband apparently died at sea as well sometime during 1886 (according to Quarrier's records).

Yes, this family is a head-ache and a half but it will slowly come start to reduce in size as more information is found about them.

Thank you for all your assistance. I really appreciate it.

Allison

sporran

Re: addresses

Post by sporran » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:59 pm

Hello Allison,

in reply to Andy, I read the address as East Shaw Street and Mary Martin's address as 5 Inverkip Street (the enumerator used two types of "S").

Mary Gillespie married James Martin in 1876 and gave her age as 19 to his 20. She was a domestic servant so she may well have been away from home in 1871, although she was still likely to have been in Greenock.

By the way Andy, I e-mailed you on a different subject yesterday: have you received it?

Regards,

John