1851 Census - Niblock or Allison .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

JustJean

1851 Census - Niblock or Allison .....

Post by JustJean » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:53 am

Hi everyone....especially Jack :D !

My GrGrGrandmother was Jane Allison NIBLOCK. Her marriage cert in 1856 to James McMEEKIN in Maryhill is a concocted one in that he used an alias by switching the surnames of his parents. Her name is listed as Jane NIMLOCK and her parents are John NIMLOCK and Margaret ALLISON (note...parents are not listed as deceased). Hard to say if her names got played with or not. The family story has her being born at sea and her father a sea captain. Both her parents were supposedly lost at sea and she was left with an uncle in Maryhill who was also sherriff who raised her. So my searching has taken me to finding Archibald ALLISON as sherriff at the correct place and time......however a search of 1841 and 1851 census films of Maryhill and of his household do not reveal a young Jane living there. So much for the glory days!! Where does all this get me??? Not far!!! Any chance a search of the 1851 census index shows any NIBLOCK or ALLISON families that have a Jane born about 1833 living in them or a Jane NIBLOCK or ALLISON boarder in the Glasgow area? There are no known siblings. I should perhaps note that the 1861 census lists her as born Ireland. 1871, 1881, and 1891 have her born Maryhill. Her DC from Dorchester, Mass. has her mother Margaret ALLISON and father UNKNOWN but also list NIBLOCK as her MS and ALLISON as her middle name.

Jean

Jack

Re: 1851 Census - Niblock or Allison

Post by Jack » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:54 am

Hi Jean,

It's not looking too good for your Jane - just can't see any that "stick out" at all.

Whilst there are only 18 "NIBLOCK / NIMLOCKs" in Glasgow 1851 there is just the one Jane (aged 62yrs with a John Niblock 59yrs & Isabella 22yrs) - not even a Jean, Jeanie, Jenny, Janet etc.
The "ALLISONs" are a bit more numerous - abt 330, and only 2 that may fit for Jane, but looks like Allison might be their married name (will check them). There are 3 Janets, but none look promising either. New Kilpatrick in Dunbartonshire is near Maryhill - again nothing there. And the only Jane i could see in that county was in Cardross (17 miles west of Glasgow) and probably with a Leckie family - but she is 22yrs
Also had a look for a Jane 16 - 22 yrs with any surname, but nothing that looks like a transcription error.

Did Jane have an address with a street & number when she married in 1856? Or was it just Maryhill?
If there is a street number i could have a look at the names there in 1851 on the off-chance there might be a connection to Jane, though rather doubtful there is.

But maybe she was born in Ireland right enough, and was living there in 1851 - as were her parents?

Jack

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:02 am

Hi Jack

I sure appreciate your efforts but I'm not surprised one bit at your findings. (Or should I say not findings). It's very possible that Jane was still in Ireland in 1851. Unfortunately her MC only states Maryhill...no street at all. She had her first child in Maryhill on 18 March 1857 and at that time the family was living at 52 Bridge Street. In 1851 her husband's family are enumerated in the village of Lennoxtown, Campsie Parish, Stirlingshire and I've already examined that film for any sign of her with no success.

I really don't think she wants to be found!

Jean

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:55 pm

Hi Jean,

Just to let you know i'd a look at all those Jane / Janets but none fitted at all. Two Janes had Allison as their married name - the 18yr old was b Glasgow but married to William Allison. The 22yr old married to Hugh Allison has a maiden name of Steel. The u/m 18yr old at Cardross was b Newton Stewart. None of the Janets were suitable either.

Also checked 52 Bridge St, Tradeston - only 1 family at the address, a Robert Laurie. Maybe once the 1851 all Scotland census comes online you will find your Jane - it's a big maybe though, but i hope you do.

Jack

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:54 pm

Thanks again Jack. I really do appreciate your time in checking the index. I've been waiting some time now for a crack at the country wide 1851 census to come online so know the drill well. If that avenue turns into a deadend at least I still have her photo.....her name to carry......and a story :wink:

Jean

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi Jean,

Well at least, as you say, you've got her photie - with her name :D

I've a few photies - but just wish i knew who the heck they are! No names on the back.... :(

Jack

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:49 am

Hi Jack

You have lots of good company with your collection of unamed photies....no need to feel sad and lonely at all :wink: ...actually i've given this some thought and if they were only able to sign their name with an "X"....then every photie would only have an "X" on it. We still wouldn't be able to tell who was who...hmmmm #-o

Jean