Yuille family Dunbarton .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

maggie

yuill family

Post by maggie » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:22 pm

Hi Jack
thankyou for your message so that's how you do it :!: :!:
brilliant i will have a go with all my other surnames and see what it brings up .i have just had a look for the "2 Kates" sadly both deceased as infants so no "twigs " to follow there. :!: but the "Moyes" part of the name is a new clue :?: thanks once again regards Maggie

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:52 pm

Hi Maggie,

Why do i get the feeling that it was William's wife Isabella who gave the 1851 information! The relationship should be to the household head....

But who's the nephew James? Maryhill (Lanarkshire) & Milngavie / New Kilpatrick (Dunbartonshire), whilst in different counties, are very near to each other.
Bonhill is, as you see, also in Dunbartonshire - but it's about 10mls west of Milngavie.
--
1851 cens 622 (604) Ed 10 p 25 (Barony - Maryhill)
Possill.
William YUILL, head, marr, 29, joiner, b Barony, LKS
Isabella YUILL, wife 27, --------- b Kinglassie, FIF
Agnes YUILL, mother-in-law, widow, 55, ----- b Kilbride, LKS
Charles YUILL, brother-in-law, u/m 20, carpenter, b Cumbernauld, DNB
Agnes YUILL, sister-in-law, 12, scholar, b Milngavie, STI
James YUILL, nephew, 5, ----------- b Bonhill, DNB
--
1861 cens 644-6 Ed 6 p 7 (Blythswood - St. George)
32 Shamrock St.
William YUILL, head, marr, 38, joiner, b Glasgow LKS
Jane YUILL, wife. 28, --------- b Kinglassie, FIF
Isabella Stenhouse YUILL, daur, 6, scholar, b Glasgow
Agnes P. YUILL, daur, 4, ----------- b Glasgow
William YUILL, son, 4mos, ------- b Glasgow
-------
Now you know where wee Kate's middle name of Moyes came from!
Could Isabella & Jean be 1st cousins? Very possibly related anyhow.

ISABEL STENHOUSE Birth: 22 OCT 1823 Kinglassie, Fife, Scotland
Father: ROBERT STENHOUSE
Mother: CATHERINE MOYES
--
JEAN BAXTER WYLIE Birth: 14 SEP 1832; Christening: 23 SEP 1832 Kinglassie, Fife, Scotland
Father: ROBERT WYLIE
Mother: ISABEL MOYES
------
Jack

maggie

yuill family

Post by maggie » Fri Apr 22, 2005 7:35 pm

Hello Jack
this is attempt 2 of replying to you as i can't see my posting i must have done something wrong somewhere anyhow here goes---
firstly can i thankyou ever so much for your message it really is appreciated your a star :!: :!:
I haven't got a clue who James the nephew is :? though going by the surname of Yuill i suppose logic say's to follow the male line so i have had a look on scotspeople and found 2 James' born in 1845-1846 only problem being the father's names don't ring any bells one is Alexander and one is Hamiliton.I do have a wedding cert for 1867 for a William Yuill who's wittness was a Alexander Yuill and his father a James so maybe's a possible connection there i'd come accross it a couple of months ago and filled it as a possible link .though that was in the parish of Stirling but i think there is a mention to Bonhill too the writing is a bit "flowery" with all loops and swirls (quite fancy really)these naming patterns are a help at times and at others a real pain .
As for the Moyes connection well i suppose that's another case of "keeping it in the family" i suspect your right about cousins Jack.
thanks for the geographical info about the closeness of the locations that just might help me with finding Mary Yuill 3xggrandmother (from the 1841 census age 15)
as i have her marriage in Bonhill in 1845 to Arthur Mcnaught but then lose her until 1881 when she turns up with her son in Partick .at times like this i wish i had of studied Scottish geography at school instead of Irish .
Well jack my sincere thanks once again regards maggie

Jack

Re James Yuill - Bonhill

Post by Jack » Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:35 am

Hi Maggie,

Found this in a drafts folder - had forgotten to send it.
--
Just some guesswork - and very possibly all wrong! But seems quite a coincidence that wee James YUILL (5) in 1851 says born Bonhill, and Mary YUILLE was married there in 1845.

Could he have been Mary's son before her marriage to Arthur McNAUGHT?
Or he actually IS a McNAUGHT - his aunt Isabella mistakenly saying YUILL?
Who were Arthur & Mary's children - birthdates & places? What was Mary's address in the 1881 census?

Can't at the moment see Arthur & Mary around the Glasgow / Dumbarton area in 1851.

Jack

maggie

yuill family

Post by maggie » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:33 pm

Hello Jack
thankyou for your reply and your thoughts on wee James i hadn't considered those possibilities or any to be truthfull !all i have is from IGI on the 18th Jan 1845 Bonhill Dunbarton Arthur Mcnaught and Mary Yuill i can't find any children on the IGI but i know they had a son James (my 2xg grandfather)born roughly 1848 i have his death cert for 1887 when his age is given as 39 years living at 1031 Dunbarton road Whiteinch Partick.he married in 1874 to a Margaret Stewart Bryce .when his age is given as 28 in the 1881 census his age is given as 34 birth place Bonhill .
Do you think now that he is wee James??and that the ages given are a couple of years out?
in the 1881 census it reads ----- James Mcnaught head age 34 Margaret Mcnaught wife age 27 Glasgow Lanark Arthur Mcnaught son age 3 Partick Margaret Mcnaught age 1 Whiteinch and Mary Mcnaught mother age 54 Lambhill Lanark (my Mary Yuill age 15 in 1841 census)
the address for the family was 7 Gordon street Govan Lanark
I have Mary's death in 1905 age 75and Margaret the wifes and Arthur's
1&2 the first Arthur having only lived for minutes .they also had a Mary in 1883 who i have got details of (my great gran)also i have got them on the poor records .I have no idea about Arthur can't find a death at all on his wife mary's cert it says Mcnaughtan also known as Mcnaught .thanks for your help Jack it is appreciated regards Maggie

Jack

Mary McNaught (Yuille)

Post by Jack » Tue May 03, 2005 5:05 pm

Hi Maggie,

Looks like Mary YUILLE was the widow of Arthur McNAUGHT by 1851 - and possibly your GG-GF James was their only child (surviving anyway).

I'm as sure as can be that the 5yr old nephew James YUILL in 1851 is your James McNAUGHT, and i wouldn't worry about his age being a couple of years out later on - but maybe he just shaved a few off to be nearer wife Margaret's age! Alexandria & Bonhill are next to each other.
--
1851 cens 622 (588) Ed 46 p 3 (Barony - Blythswood)
Bankhead, Dumbarton Rd.
Gilbert LANG, head, marr, 32, chemist, b Glasgow, LKS
Margaret C. LANG, wife, 32, ----------- b Paisley, RFW
Gilbert T. LANG, son, 5, scholar, b Bonhill, DNB
Sophia J. LANG, daur, 4, scholar, b Partick, LKS
Alexr. S. LANG, son, 1 [sic], ----- b Partick
Margaret S. LANG, daur, 9mos, --- b Partick
Robert S. LANG, son, 9mos, ------ b Partick
MARY McNAUGHT, servant, widow, 26, housemaid, b Lambhill, LKS
Margaret SCOTT, nurse, marr, 24, wet nurse, b East Kilbride, LKS
Margaret YUILLE, assistant, u/m 17, assistant nurse, b Cumbernauld, DNB
&
1861 cens 646-2 Ed 10 p 20 (Govan - Partick)
27? Victoria St. [this is now the southern end of Byres Rd]
MARY McNAUGHT, head, widow, 35, laundress, b Lambhill
James McNAUGHT, son, 15, pupil teacher, b Alexandria, DNB
Agnes Graham YUILE, sister, u/m 22, dressmaker, b Milngavie, STI

------------------
Looks like there might be at least 4 Glasgow Poor Law Records. I'd hope that Mary YUILLE's in 1884 would say when hubby Arthur McNAUGHT died.

Mary McNAUGHT (Yuille) 59yrs, b Glasgow. Applied 1884. D-HEW 17 / 268. No 73818.

James McNAUGHT 37yrs, b Bonhill. Applied 1884. D-HEW 17 / 269. No 73910.

Arthur McNAUGHT 19yrs, b Partick. Applied 1897. D-HEW 17 / 427. No 26347.

Mary Yuille OLIVER (McNaughton) 25yrs, b Whiteinch. Applied 1909. D-HEW 17 / 631. No 108296.

I dare say you know that The Mitchell Library, Glasgow holds these records.
-----
Jack

ps - Gordon St (re-named Glendore St) was in Whiteinch. Govan Parish included areas north of the River Clyde too in 1881.

maggie

yuill family

Post by maggie » Tue May 03, 2005 8:39 pm

Hello Jack :) thankyou ever so much for the information it really is very kind of you and it is appreciated.I can see why wee James was living with uncle William and family while "mum" worked.
as for the poor law records i have got the records for ARthur Mcnaught from the Glasgow city archives they arrived last week i'd emailed the archives enquiring about records for him as i had him on the 1891 and 1901 census and then had got his death cert where he had been "found" on Kilmory farm shore" furthur enquiries led to me getting the newspaper report of his death it seems he went missing on new year's day and met a sad end as he was feeble minded and ended up in a paupers grave .
it took some 2 months to receive the information from the poor records(there must be a huge demand on the archivists time) so can you tell me if the mitchell library offers the same service of copying records for a fee which i'm more than willing to pay or do i try the city archives ? as i took a photo copy of the order and payment sheet incase anything else cropped up which thanks to you it has .thankyou once again Jack your a star :!: :!:

Jack

Re Poor Law Records

Post by Jack » Wed May 04, 2005 9:37 am

Hi Maggie,

The City Archives Dept. is on level 3 of The Mitchell Library - so the same place. Good news is it's a 75yr closure.

How very sad to hear of young Arthur's details - certainly many Poor Law records make for heartbreaking reading. I'm always delighted to find my own ancestors & cousins in them - but i'm quite sure they didn't hold the same opinion...

The staff i do know are forever busy - and glad to say that even though they are, they still have time to be very helpful. So i don't know if it would be any quicker if i ordered any copies you need and posted them on to you. If you want to try, then please just send me a private message with your address and what records you need.

Ta - Jack

maggie

Post by maggie » Wed May 04, 2005 11:17 am

Hello Jack
i have sent you the private message but i think that possibly i've done something wrong i went to preview it and it sort of "disappeared"as it was rather long winded can you let me know if you got it ?