Records accuracy

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Orlaith17

Records accuracy

Post by Orlaith17 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:17 pm

I would be interested in other opinions here. My family on dad's side originated in Ireland but moved to Scotland. So I can get some records in GROS. Both grandparents were born in Scotland. I have my great grandfather on the 1901 census, married to his Scottish wife, but his place of birth given as Ireland. I have his marriage certificate in Scotland, with his parents named on it. They were named as Hugh and Jane. I have searched for years and can find nothing about them anywhere. The thing that makes me wonder is that Grandad's name was Thomas, as was his father's name. I have an uncle Thomas too, and a few cousins named Thomas. As in many families, names were passed down in the family. But oddly, there are none named Hugh. Other relatives agree with me that they would have expected great great grandad to also be named Thomas. As my great grandad's age on the census did not tally with his death certificate age either, is it possible the wrong name was given for his father's name? Might he not have known his father's name? Or his own age? The Jane named as great great grandmother made more sense as grandad had a sister named Jane. Any thoughts?

WilmaM

Re: Records accuracy

Post by WilmaM » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:18 pm

Bear in mind that many folks couldn't read or write, so if there was a mistake they wouldn't notice to correct the registrar.
Accents play a part too - though Thomas and Hugh aren't anywhere similar!

However Hugh could have been the name he was known by.
Reason? In my Father's side [ Irish] were are 4 brothers officially William Robert, Andrew [not sure if he was William too] William Thomas and William. Known all their life as Bobby, Andy, Tommy and Billy.
In fact my Dad was taken to task by relations when he placed his father's death notice as he'd used the correct names and they were convinced he's got it wrong!
Wilma

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:43 am

Errors in ages on death certificates are commonplace. Often by up to 10 years. It's just the informant's best guess. (No documentary proof was required). Other things like the deceased's parents names can be suspect too as the informant may have known little or nothing about them, so just guessed. (People seemed to be scared to say "not known" though you do sometimes see it).
Elwyn

BrainA

Post by BrainA » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:28 am

Also beware of inaccuracies on Census Returns! The 1911 Census shows my Grandfathers Siblings as Jane and Mathew (twins), ages given in the correct columns for male and female and correct age. Mathew is actually Martha!!!
There are also variations on my GG Grandfather's family name given in Census Returns for 1861, 1871 and 1901. The correct spelling is Slootman, but given as Slootmans and Slotman. The records are all in a 'good' hand and clearly legible so no difficulty in reading them, unlike some records. The motto I have adopted since staring family research is "Researcher Beware"!

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Yes, I'm aware that census results can be inaccurate. I had a relative recorded as surname McFaggart but it was actually McTaggart. So what is my best way forward to try to trace my great grandparents? Assume that Hugh was wrong name and search again trying Thomas in the off chance? Thanks all.

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:08 pm

Still searching. It has also occurred to me that though it was stated on Scottish Census that great grandad was born in Ireland, he may not have been, but just thought he was. I have searched for him on earlier Scottish census in case he was born here, but can't find him. Also searched in Scottish records for names he gave as parent names on his marriage certificate (Hugh and Jane) but nothing comes up. Have even considered that he may have been orphaned as a child and didn't know his parents' names. I have been searching Ancestry new Irish parish registers for great grandad's baptism record with Hugh and Jane as parents. Over 80 records for that name around the time he woukd have been born, but nothing with those parent names. And nothing to confirm that any other record with different parent names might be him. Been at this brick wall for years now. :(

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:32 pm

What was your granddad's full name? When was he born (as indicated by censuses and his marriage cert)? What denomination was he? What were his parents names, as per the marriage cert?
Elwyn

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:59 pm

My grandad was called Thomas Hannan. He was born in Kilmarnock 28th October 1887. His parents were Thomas Hannan and Jessie Matthews. They married in St Quivox, Ayr on 16th September 1880. His parents were named on marriage certificate as Hugh Hannan and Jane McGee. It was stated on 1891 census that his birthplace was Ireland. He died in September 1891 in Cambusnethan, Lanark, aged 45. His age as given on his marriage certificate in 1880 was 30.

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:10 am

I assume the family were RC. If so, a marriage prior to 1864 won’t be in the Irish civil indexes. (Non RC marriages were recorded from 1845 onwards but RC only from 1864). You would therefore need to rely on parish records. The indexes to most of the surviving RC parish records are on-line on Ancestry and fmp. Had a look for both Thomas’s baptism and his parents marriage but could not find either. Possibly the parish the family comes from doesn’t have any records for that period.
Elwyn

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:39 am

Thank you for trying. Yes, they were Roman Catholic. I have looked everywhere I can think of for a birth for grandad's father. I was searching for a birth or christening around 1849 + or - 5 years, but no luck. Also no luck with a marriage for a Hugh and Jane. I tried Ancestry's Irish parish records but no luck there either. I've no idea what parish the family came from. My Grans family were also Irish who came to Scotland, and I have managed to get a lot of info for them. Just not sure why this brick wall at a fairly early stage in grandad's side.