Quarriers grandmother's sister

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

Joan M.

Quarriers grandmother's sister

Post by Joan M. » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:45 am

Hi, I have been trying to find out what happened to my grandmother's younger sister. My grandmother Lily Cunningham at the time and her sister's Margaret and Elizabeth had been a Quarrier's Home at Bridge of Weir in Scotland. Their mom was Lizzie Craig and my grandmother's dad was Richard Cunningham, not sure who Elizabeth's father might of been, maybe a Weir. My grandmother and Margaret came to Canada May 11 1896. My grandmother was born Jan 18 1889 Wilson Land Cross Cates Bellshill The register was William McNab Feb 11 1889 district Bothwell county Lanark. If there is anyone out that might have some info I would appreciate it. Take care.

J

WilmaM

Re: Quarriers grandmother's sister

Post by WilmaM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:28 pm

Our Dear Late friend Russell posted this a couple of years ago:
I think your best bet would be to write to Quarriers as they have very good records relating to all the children who were sent out to Canada. a few of the last groups who were sent even have photographs in the Quarriers archives ! They would record last known home address for all the children who were admitted into care.
I used to work in Quarriers until I retired. They no longer are needed to take care of orphans but still work offering respite care for children with disabilities; homeless teenagers; children and adults with intractible epilepsy; support care for those with severe learning disabilities.
The address is Head Office (Archives)
Quarriers Village
by Bridge of Weir
Renfrewshire
Scotland.

Good luck Russell
The Quarriers website directs you to a 'geneology' form, but that page is no longer there! https://quarriers.org.uk/contact-us/

I did have a look on the 1891 census for your ladies:
Little Lilly aged 2 is in Bothwell still known as CUNNINGHAM.
The other CUNNINGHAMs under the same entry are: John aged 60, Elizabeth 56, Margaret 7 and a little Elizabeth aged 4.
[so her sister was older not younger? unless the 1887 born Elizabeth died and a new baby was given her name]

So I looked for the girl's births:
Margaret Cunningham born Bothwell 1884
There are 2 Elizabeth Cunningham's registered in 1887 in Bothwell Elizabeth Short and Elizabeth Allan
The 1889 birth has your Grandmother as Lilly Craig CUNNINGHAM .
{assuming they were all born in Bothwell}

No obvious marriage for a John Cunningham to an Elizabeth Craig .

Looking at the census record on Scotlands people will give you where they were all born, and looking at the girls' birth record should give you when and where the parents married. That will also give the mother's maiden name [and possibly any other names she was known by]

I hope this gives you some thing to work on.
Wilma

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:40 pm

A John Whitelaw Cunningham death is registered in Bothwell in 1892 he was aged 61 .
That sounds like the father - and the reason they ended up in Quarriers.

I'm not seeing any death that fits the mother though a few Elizabeth [or variations] Cunningham of the right age died between 1891 and 1896 but none with Craig as an alternative surname [ or Weir, Short or Allan either]

Once you check the original entries on SP you'll hopefully have a clearer idea.
Wilma

Currie

Post by Currie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:21 am

This is the old Quarriers genealogy page from a few years ago which appears to have been taken down. The links won't necessarily work but some of the info may be useful. https://web.archive.org/web/20130731215 ... r-history/

This appears to be the current pathway. https://quarriers.org.uk/about-us/aftercare/

Alan

Bertha

Post by Bertha » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:06 pm

Did you ever apply to Quarriers for the girls records?
looking for
Nelson/Neilson,Wood,McDonald,Baillie - East Lothian
McLaren,Ross,Kelly,McEwan,Nicholson,Price/Pryce,Telfer,Robertson, Dickson/Dixon, Gibson,Niven Edinburgh