Can anyone decipher this name?

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

RAAAMMY

Can anyone decipher this name?

Post by RAAAMMY » Mon May 31, 2021 4:41 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 0..&type=3
This is a photo from a marriage certificate and I am trying to decipher the fist name of the person called Buchanan.
Thomas Buchanan born 5th September 1904 Belfast.
Mother Margaret Buchanan (maiden name Hamilton) in Belfast
Father William Buchanan
Thomas lived at 13 Ventry Street Belfast. Married Irene Askham 12th December 1931.
Daughter Irene Buchanan born 1st January 1932.
Father William and Son Thomas both cattle dealers.

This is as much as I can find about my ancestors on my mothers side of the family. The photo is a signature of someone called Buchanan who was a witness to Thomas marriage to Irene Askham on 12th December 1931, and could possibly be a brother to Thomas, but I can’t make out the first name.
Can anyone tell me the first name in the photo, and does anyone have any information on the family?

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Can anyone decipher this name?

Post by AndrewP » Mon May 31, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi RAAAMMY,

[TS_welcome]

Your Facebook image is not available to be viewed. Can you upload it as an attachment to a message on this forum, or elsewhere where it is open to public view?

All the best,

AndrewP

RAAAMMY

Post by RAAAMMY » Mon May 31, 2021 11:41 pm

https://supernaturalevidenceforgod.co.u ... nan-family
Unable to load the photo here as message says file too large! anyway here it is on webpage.
It is driving me nuts trying to decipher the first name, so I would appreciate suggestions, and any information about the family.
Thomas Buchanan is my grandfather on my mothers side of the family.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:02 am

Hi RAAAMMY,

It could be "Frederick", but I cannot say that with 100% certainty.

All the best,

AndrewP

RAAAMMY

Post by RAAAMMY » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:02 am

Hi Andrew, thanks for your suggestion. A couple of my friends also suggested Fredrick, others have suggested the d looks like the letter o, and the letters r and i look like the letter n in Buchanan. I shall do some research on a Fredrick Buchanan and see if that brings up any connections with Thomas or his parents. Cheers.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:34 pm

I've had a quick look for your family on the 1901 & 1911 census [http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ ] - nothing obvious popping out.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/ ... search.jsp
I then searched for Buchanan births with mother's surname Buchanan:
1. UnKnown male 1900 - born Belfast workhouse parents William & Margaret
2. Thomas 1904 - born on the street? no father's name noted, Mother Margaret Buchanan nee Hamilton
[registered by someone from the Nurses Home Union Workhouse]

I'll dig further after lunch...
Later:
I'm not finding anything of note, not even a marriage for Margaret Hamilton & William Buchanan.
The Frederick Buchannan marriage I found is not a brother according to the 1911 census.

The other Belfast Buchanan/Hamilton births are a different couple - a Policeman.
Wilma

RAAAMMY

Post by RAAAMMY » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:22 pm

Hi William,
Thanks for the info and your time looking for details.
I also looked at the census and didnt find anything.
Thomas born on the street on 5th September 1904 is my grandfather, and his mother Margaret Buchanan (formerly Hamilton).
Thomas was married on the 12th December 1931 to Irene Askham . His fathers name William. + name of witness whose first name we are trying to discover.

Thomas lived at 13 Ventry Street Belfast, and Irene lived at 3 Ventry Street Belfast.
Thomas daughter Irene was born on the 1st of January 1932. Mother Irene and daughter Irene (Kathleen Margaret Irene) came to England shortly after birth, and all contact lost - Not a marriage made in heaven!

Thomas occupation same as William - Cattle Dealer.

The unknown male born 1900 - born Belfast workhouse, parents William and Margaret looks interesting, and I think it was common for women to go into the workhouse to have their children. Do you know which workhouse? Same as the other birth for Thomas?
Thanks again for your help.

RAAAMMY

Post by RAAAMMY » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:30 pm

I recently did the Ancestry DNA test and then searched for matches using the names Buchanan, Thomas, William and Margaret Hamilton, as well as names on my fathers side of the family - nothing so far.

RAAAMMY

Post by RAAAMMY » Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi William,
I did a birth search at GRONI childs last name Buchanan, first name - not captured, mothers maiden name Hamilton.
I found the male 9th July 1900 Belfast workhouse father William, mother Margaret Buchanan - Hamilton.
I also found male 17th august 1897 Belfast workhouse Father William mother Maggie Buchanan - Hamilton. Maggie is a common name for Margaret.
So looks like I have found two older brothers for Thomas.
I did a further search before and after, but nothing else showed up.

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:39 pm

There is a birth of a Frederick Buchanan born 12 December 1896 in Belfast to a John Buchanan (a fireman) and Jane Lyons, maybe John and your William are brothers making Frederick a cousin witnessing the marriage of Thomas.

This was on the website WilmaM mentioned irishgenealogy.ie - excellent site for Irish certificates and free.

John