Some old Googlers – Scottish MI’s and Travel.

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:55 am

Well done Carol,

That was a great bit of detective work. It’s amazing what’ll turn up out of the blue like that. It could have been an impossible one to pin down without good old Google Books.

Thanks for reminding me about Google News Archives. I’ve used it before but since managed to forget all about it. I will have to reorganise my favourites.

I checked my Historical Newspapers database (Chicago Tribune 1849-1985, Christian Science Monitor 1908-1993, Los Angeles Times 1881-1985, New York Times 1851-2001, Wall Street Journal 1889-1989, Washington Post 1877-1990) but couldn’t find anything for John Fraser Taylor.

Alan

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:31 am

Alan,

Thanks for checking your newspapers for John Fraser Taylor. Unfortunately, what I really need for him are the Detroit papers and they aren't online. Can't have everything, I guess!

Carol
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:24 am

Carol wrote
I was just looking at the books again and Bingo!!! I found Printers and Printing In Providence 1762-1907. This was a 50th anniversary publication by the Providence Typographical Union #33 and the snippet started out: James L. Clerihew born April 19, 1880 in Aberdeen.... That's my grandfather!!!!!!!!! It turns out that he was a journeyman printer, being admitted to the union in Aberdeen in 1899 and admitted to the Providence union in 1906 when he came over here.

I knew from the 1901 census that his first job was as a printer-compositor, but I thought he was strictly a journeyman jeweler by the time he moved to the US.

After some more googling I located a posting to the RIGenweb of much of the Printers book including the entry about my grandfather. Now I just have to see if my sister wants a copy for our family archive.
Hi Carol,

Getting back to you over this book. I spoke with John at the Providence Archives today and they don't own a copy, but the Rhode Island Historical Society do. Did you tell me that already? :roll: So I called the reference department of RIS today and they faxed the request form over, which I'll scan to you soon. Its only one dollar per page, which is very reasonable.

Regards
Marilyn

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:50 pm

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for looking into this. I found the entry for my grandfather on the RI website, but my sister said to go ahead and get the book too. If I can get away from the sewing machine for ten minutes today, I will! I'm making two quilts for Christmas presents and one has to be in the mail next week. Neither one is finished! Fortunately, friends inivited us over for Thanksgiving so I don't have to cook tomorrow! :D

Carol

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:07 am

Hello Carol and Marilyn,

Just as a matter of interest, there are four of these books for sale on Abe Books. None of them seem to be in much better than average condition but look at the variation in prices!

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... e&x=33&y=7

and this one

http://www.biblio.com/search.php?author ... ny&stage=1

and another one here

http://www.tomfolio.com/search.asp

Alan

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:00 pm

Thanks Alan,

Abebooks is where I usually head first when I'm looking for an old book! I saw the tomfolio site on Google books too. Another good one is Alibris.com. My sister told me to go ahead and buy the book, but I still haven't gotten back to it and probably won't today. We're headed out the door soon to a friends's house to eat turkey since today is Thanksgiving Day over here. :lol:

Carol