Book about King Edward (Place not Royalty)

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

SGEOJMP

Post by SGEOJMP » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:38 am

I am aware of a book entitled "King Edward: A Story of a Parish by James Godsman" If anyone has a copy that they are willing to part with I would be pleased to buy it price permitting.

Stuart

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:29 am

Hi Stuart,
I see that the book is very difficult to find! And the closest library that has it is 2,400 miles from where you live :shock: Have you asked your local library if it is possible to get it via interlibrary loan?

Another idea would be to contact the Aberdeen and North East Scotland Family History Society and ask them if they know how to obtain a copy.

http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/

All the best,
Sarah

Full details from WorldCat:

King-Edward, Aberdeenshire : the story of a parish, by James Godsman
Publisher: Banffshire Journal, 1952.
OCLC: 30203836

puffin

Post by puffin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:36 am

Stuart,

I have a copy of this book.

My 2G Grandfather is on record as being born in King Edward Parish and I spotted this book in a large box of books at a local auction a few years ago. My paternal 3G Grandfather is my 'brick wall' and whilst this book was very helpful on a number of issues the 'brick wall' itself still remains.

I was not successful in bidding for the whole box of books, but afterwards approached the successful bidder, who was a book dealer, and I made him an offer for this single book. So both of us came away happy.

I do not wish to part with it but what I could do is try to answer any questions you might wish to put.

There is no index to the book. The records of names of people are generally all given relating to the individual properties - the farms and so on - so if you know the name of the place please let me know and I will see what I can find to help you.

Chapter Headings are such that 1-6 relate to the period from early pre-history up to The Landed Estates, but it is Chapter 7 ( unless your ancestors are in the landed gentry) - The Records of the Tenantry-listed by property name- where the most useful data is recorded.

Otherwise one has to read the whole book ( 370 ish pages!) to see if the name you are looking for pops up.

It may take some time to respond to any questions but I will give it a try if you can provide a clue of two as to what you are looking for?

Puffin

Tracey
Global Moderator

Post by Tracey » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:56 am

King-Edward, Aberdeenshire: The Story of a Parish
by James Godsman - 1952 - 372 pages
No preview available - About this book - Add to my library
Maybe this will soon be available on Google Books. The book i was looking for was noted on here in the same was as above before it was available to view, which wasnt that long.
Scotland - Donaldson / Moggach / Shaw / Geddes / Sim / Gray / Mackie / Richards / Joel / Coull / Mckimmie / Panton / McGregor
Ireland and Scotland - Casey / McDade / Phillips / McCandle / Dinely / Comaskey + various spellings

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:04 pm

Hi Stuart:

It's a very pricey book, unless you've lots of disposable income! I found two copies listed for sale at $345 and $295 U.S.

There is a discussion about contents of this book that may be worth looking at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stonehave ... e/3485?l=1

although, it seems you have to join through the home page as discussions don't seem to be public anymore
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Stonehaven_Genealogy/

Frances

puffin

Post by puffin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:26 pm

Frances

In the copy of this book that I have there is a postcard inside, with an Aberdeen address, indicating that it was a christmas gift to someone in 1952.

There is also a pencil price in the front cover saying £ 1.50.

I had to pay a little more than that but certainly not at the level of figures you give. I had no idea that its value is so much higher.

I am happy to do a little hunting within it for Stuart if he so wishes and lets me know what he is looking for.

I wonder who the Stonehaven correspondent was?

Puffin
:wink: :wink:

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:54 pm

Hi Stuart:

The messages and contact info are still on file, but it seems not to be active any longer. Although you can still read them, I'm not sure how successful you'd be with contacts dated as far back as 2001.

It's a Yahoo group, so there is no cost to joining, and you can always remove your information by selecting to 'Leave the Group'

Frances

SGEOJMP

King Edward Book

Post by SGEOJMP » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:00 am

Thanks to all of you that replied. I rather suspected that the price of the book would be out of my range even if it was available. I will go into the Yahoo site and try to pick up the thread. Puffin has kindly offered to take a look in his copy to see if any of my relations are noted.

Stuart