Gorbals

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

nelmit

Gorbals

Post by nelmit » Tue May 19, 2009 2:28 pm

If you have descendents who lived and worked at The Gorbals/Hutchesontown/Tradeston area then 'The Gorbals an Illustrated History' by Eric Eunson is a great book. As well as old photographs and history topics it has 2 maps of the area drawn by Ronald P A Smith - 1858 & 1910 - showing all the works and factories in great detail (as well as the streets of course).

Regards,
Annette

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue May 19, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi Annette
Certainly a book I'll be looking out for. Looks really interesting. I expect they may have it in the Mitchell.

Best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Tue May 19, 2009 3:47 pm

LesleyB wrote:Hi Annette
Certainly a book I'll be looking out for. Looks really interesting. I expect they may have it in the Mitchell.

Best wishes
Lesley
Yes they have a few copies Lesley but if you have GCC library card you can reserve it online http://www.libcat.glasgow.gov.uk/cgi-bi ... glasgow.sh to borrow or it's available to buy at the usual book outlets.

Regards,
Annette

Big Sanny

Post by Big Sanny » Thu May 21, 2009 10:39 pm

Its still on sale in bookshops and availble to borrow in the libraries? Big mistake by the author there I'd say.

.............. 30p per borrow maybe X hundreds of borrows = hundreds of lost sales of the book = financial disaster to the author.
Then from the east there came a wee hard man, oh hoa, aw' the wi fae Brigton.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu May 21, 2009 10:56 pm

Its still on sale in bookshops and availble to borrow in the libraries? Big mistake by the author there I'd say.
Isn't that the normal way of things? Most newly published books can be borrowed in a library, and if they do not have it, they will often order in a copy for you or use inter-library loan to acquire one. I don't think the author normally has a say in that aspect at all - these sort of arrangements are usually made by the publisher as far as I know. I'm sure our TS librarians will be able to clarify.

Best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu May 21, 2009 11:14 pm

LesleyB wrote:
Isn't that the normal way of things? Most newly published books can be borrowed in a library, and if they do not have it, they will often order in a copy for you or use inter-library loan to acquire one. I don't think the author normally has a say in that aspect at all - these sort of arrangements are usually made by the publisher as far as I know. I'm sure our TS librarians will be able to clarify.

Best wishes
Lesley
The Gorbals book was published in 1996 so just shows you how good it is to be still in print.

You can borrow books from my local library that were published within the last few months and there are waiting lists for the titles that will be published shortly.

Regards,
Annette