Thorough Guides - Scotland

History and Culture, A place to post a book title.

Moderator: Global Moderators

Pandabean

Thorough Guides - Scotland

Post by Pandabean » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:07 pm

I was in a second hand bookshop this afternoon and saw these two little books that are like tourist guides but there was only parts 1 (Scotland) and Part 3 The Lowlands. I got them for about £8 which i hope was a bargin. Does anyone know of these books at all?

I thought that I would get them as they looked interesing and old, turns out they were published in 1915, although I wouldnt say they were in the best of best conditions, part one is showing brown spots along the edges of the pages. There are plenty of maps and plans in including a plan of Edinburgh Castle.

Believe it or not the fares from London to Edinburgh 57s 6d and 32s. 8d. A tourist return ticket was 109s.6d. Seems expensive.

So has anyone heard of these books and or thinks they are useful?

Additional Info:

Part 3 (the Lowlands) was published in 1908 and it is the fifth addition. Part 1 is the "new edition".

Both books were bpublished by Thomas Nelson and Sons (London, Edinburgh, Dublin and New York). Both books are written by M.J.B Baddeley, BA.

They still have the little slip of paper that says:
"The publishers will be very grateful for corrections or suggestions for improvement of this series. All communications shoul be sent to......"

The author:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._J._B._Baddeley

These books on Scotland have a similar cover to that of the book on Wales above.
Andy
[size=75]
[b]McDonald[/b]
[b]Greenlees & Fairnie[/b] (Musselburgh area)
[b]Johnston, Whitson, Whitecross, Runciman [/b] (Haddingtonshire)
[b]Rutherford [/b](Dumbartonshire, Airth & Larbert)
[b]Ross, Stevenson & Robb[/b](Falkirk)[/size]

Davie

Post by Davie » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:05 pm

Hi Andy,
You got a good buy especially if the maps are all there.
I have a few Ward Locks, whch are similar, on my shelves, but none of the Thorough Guides.
The last time I saw one for sale, was at the C of S charity booksale in Edinburgh.
Price £12
Davie

Pandabean

Post by Pandabean » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:51 pm

Believe it or not I was in a Charity Bookshop today and there was an 1860's copy of the History of Scotland. I am guessing it is 1860s as there were roman numeralswhich I am guessing were the year of publishing and did add up to 1860. The book is binded in the old style with ridges along the spine. It was only £15 but I didnt buy it. :( I would like to as I like the style of the book. I may now go back and buy but I dont now if it is worth it. It looks in good condition except for part of the title on the spine that is hanging on.
Andy
[size=75]
[b]McDonald[/b]

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:57 pm

Andy, you must have much stronger will power than me :lol: Just for its content, I'd not have been able to resist it, damage or no damage. :shock:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

trotterbeck

Post by trotterbeck » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:31 pm

Hi
If you want to check out book prices try:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk

There are currently 6 copies of Thorough Guides varying between £7.00 and £29.25

Uk, USA, Fr, Fr, USA, USA. in price order least to dearest.

I tried searching for History of Scotland and there are too many to list even using advanced search with publishing dates 1850-1870 (196) Lots of different titles using these words.

Another potential site for locating Old Books is:

http://82.110.105.19/oldbooknews.com/
I'm a Cousin - are you? http://www/LostCousins.com

Looking for Beck and Trotter in Hawick and
Roxburghshire

Pandabean

Post by Pandabean » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:58 pm

Ok I went back on Saturday and I couldnt find it on the shelf :( However I went back in today and there it was so I just grabbed and payed for it. The spine is slightly damaged and doesnt look in the best of states.

The title is:
The History of Scotland; From the earliest period to the close of the Rebellion 1745-46: contained in the Tales of a Grandfather by Sir Walter Scott, Bart.
Twenty - Third Edition Volume 2.

The roman numerals at the bottom add up to 1863, I am guessing that to be the year. I love the style of the spine. I will post a pic of it later if anyone wants to see it.

Also there was another book if anyone is interested. It is the Sherrif Court Digest 1920s-1932 (Cant remember the exact years) and it looks amazing with the old style spine. I dont know if it is any use at all to anyone here. Its going for £25
Andy
[size=75]
[b]McDonald[/b]

Davie

Post by Davie » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:04 am

Hi Andy,
I’ll see if I have a spare tome, in the same edition lying about for you, or one with similar binding, more than likely it will be volume 2 as well.
Drappin’ buttered toast.
The Brother has boxes of Scott, with several full sets
Tales of my Grandfather, 1830s and 1930s both in three volumes.
Mine are just odd. (nae comments frae the rest o’ yeese)
There are a couple of Waverley Novels, a Wilson’s Tales of the Borders and RLS’s Skerryvore edition, lyin’ aboot here.
Which only make yer shelves look tidy.
Well, they wid if they wur oan the shelf.
The problem with charity shops, (especially Oxfam) is that most of them know the market price, thanks to the net.
I very seldom bother venturing into them these days, and if I do and see any book priced over a fiver, jist forget aboot it.
Even the big C of S charity sale in Edinburgh has lost the plot on pricing, but still a MUST venture to.
Jist in case.

http://www.standrewsandstgeorges.org.uk ... k_sale.php

And Montrose is ay worth a visit when the sale is oan.
Which is the only time.
Ye ken fit like yon Gable Endies ur!
Och aye the noo ma loon.
http://www.inprint.co.uk/thebookguide/a ... /may.shtml

Davie

Pandabean

Post by Pandabean » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:31 am

Yeh the bookshops are getting wiser these days, although I was in another one yesterday and they had the prices of amazon and abebooks on the tickets and then their price was was about a fiver cheaper.

I would love to get my hands on Volume 2 of the Thorough guides to complete the set. :roll:

I guess the best places these days is boot sales where you can at least haggle down the price of the books.

I had a quick read through some of the book and it talks about the Darien Expedition as well as the Massacre of Glen Coe. It may have been overpriced but it did look good. :)

Also there was the Aberdeen Post Office Directories in there for around the 1920s. And there was a rather lovely 1896 6 volume History of Scotland that look beautiful as well going for £60, so thats a tenner a book which seems worth it as they are quite large and in very good condition.
Andy
[size=75]
[b]McDonald[/b]