Collincy, County of Sligo???.....

Parish Records and other sources

Moderator: Global Moderators

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:30 am

Hi SuperTrouper,

Thanks for the link...I just wish I could find some reference to my John Russell and his time there as a miller.

Regards,
Anne H

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:18 am

I meant to comment earlier, that if you look at the Robertson entry on this page, and the capital "S" in "Sergeant in the 78 Regiment", that confims "Sligo".

David

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:20 am

Hi David,

I eventually did notice the similarity in the letter "S" in Sergeant and Sligo, so that bit is definitely confirmed.

I had a look at the full OPR again and there's another entry for a Sergeant, also in the 78th Regiment who married the following week. I didn't notice this one before and since his name is John McDonald, I'm hoping I'll get a nice surprise and finally find a connection for my poor gggrandmother, so thanks for bringing it up.

Regards,
Anne H

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:33 am

Hi again SuperTrouper,

I had a good look through the link you mentioned and there is a lot of good information on it. I was actually up until 3:30 a.m. this morning looking through everything. (make that yesterday morning...I'm into tomorrow morning now :) )

If anyone has ancestors from Sligo it's well worth the look. Lots of names, MI's, 1901 census, directories, stories, etc., etc. There's a story from one man who has written a letter to his brother in Canada and I think mentions just about everyone living in the town...fascinating reading. One of the links also lists some shipwrecks and one that mentions some survivors names and what they lost. I'll be visiting those links again,

So thanks again, SuperTrouper...and a warm welcome to TalkingScot :)

Regards,
Anne H

SuperTrouper

Post by SuperTrouper » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:16 am

Hi Anne,

Yes, I thought you might find that link interesting, apart from the map. My Grannys family are from a little place called Mullaghnaneane (pronounced Mullinane!) which is near Drumcliff, due north of Collooney so I'm familiar with the area. I've had a good rummage on Google for your miller but cant find anything. Good luck with your search.

Charmaine
Researching TROUP, COWIE, ALLARDYCE, FERRIES of Aberdeenshire
COGHLAN, REGAN, HUNTER, MCMORRIS, CUNNINGHAM in Cork, Sligo & Fermanagh

Kenneth_Russell

Re: Collincy, County of Sligo???.....

Post by Kenneth_Russell » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:44 am

OK, well thanks to the power of Google...here I am.....Kenneth Russell ...John Russell's 3xGreats grandson....what a long strange trip its been (as the grateful dead once put it).

I've only just found that I am related to john, having believed for over 30 years, that I was related to a totally different branch of the Russells. Much work to do !!!!

Regards

Ken

Anne H
Global Moderator

Re: Collincy, County of Sligo???.....

Post by Anne H » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:00 am

Hi Ken and welcome to TalkingScot! :D

What a surprise to see this old post surface again.

I'm looking forward to comparing notes on the Russell's.

I've sent you a pm.

Regards,
Anne H