Catholic records

Records from the Scottish Catholic Archives

Moderator: Global Moderators

meelymunch

Catholic records

Post by meelymunch » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:21 pm

Good evening all,
I had a look on SP at the Catholic records and i'm a bit confused with the results.

No Birth Baptism Surname Forename Alias Parent Names Sex Parish Image
1/ 27/06/1859 03/07/1859 GIFFORD ALEXANDER - EDMUND GIFFORD/MARY GRANT M BUCKIE, ST PETER'S VIEW (PAID)

2/ 27/06/1859 03/07/1859 GIFFORD ALEXANDER - EDMUND GIFFORD/MARY GRANT M BUCKIE, ST PETER'S VIEW (5 CREDITS)

These are just two of them but it was the same for lots more.
They are both my g grandad , both have the same dates , both for St Peter's RC Church,Buckie.Banffshire. I've clicked on the first to view but i'm loath to view the second entry in case it has exactly the same info and i'll have wasted 5 credits.

On some of my rellies they are the same person with the same dates but one is at Buckie,St Peter's Church and the other entry is at Preshome,St Gregory's , both Catholic Churches.

Does anyone know why they have multiple entries like this ?

Cheers, Carole.
Re-searching: Gifford,Grant,McHattie,
Wood "Park",Geddes,Findlay,Robertson,Milton,Cowie from Buckie,Portgordon,Fordyce + Portknockie,Banffshire.
McDonalds from Fraserburgh,Aberdeen.
Geddes,Harvey + Vogt from Glasgow,Lanarkshire + Rothesay,Bute.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:40 pm

Hi Carole,

Never seen that before.

I thought at first it might be a similar scenario to the census records I pulled a few weeks ago where I thought I might be getting a cousin to the guy I viewed the census for. Turns out that the enumerator decided to revise the schedule - drew a big X across the entire page and re-entered the information on a different page and SP indexed both entries...it was the same person - so I wasted precious credits.

Yours is a bit different though if there are numerous duplicates, why not contact SP and ask if those have been entered twice in error?

Worth a try rather than spending more credits. :wink:

Regards,
Anne H

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:36 am

Hi Carole,

I'v taken a look at both of the baptismal entries. They are almost identical. Others on the page are repeated too (maybe all of them, but on the next page). One has the occupations and partial addresses in it; the other doesn't. Otherwise the same information.

All the best,

AndrewP

meelymunch

Catholic records

Post by meelymunch » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:09 am

Hi, thanks Andrew for your reply :wink:

Anne, i did email SP and got this :
Hi Carole, thank you for your e-mail.
The reason there are 2 entries for Alexander Gifford , is that there are 2 volumes for St Peter, and records are repeated, but I am unsure why at the moment this has happened, and this may be the case for other volumes.

They sent me the entry i hadn't scanned but i'm still unsure whether or not to check all the other multiple entries for other family members.
I just know i'll view one of the entries and it'll be the one i don't look at that has the best information !

Thanks again, Carole.
Re-searching: Gifford,Grant,McHattie,
Wood "Park",Geddes,Findlay,Robertson,Milton,Cowie from Buckie,Portgordon,Fordyce + Portknockie,Banffshire.
McDonalds from Fraserburgh,Aberdeen.
Geddes,Harvey + Vogt from Glasgow,Lanarkshire + Rothesay,Bute.