Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2009)

TalkingScot asks its members...

Moderator: Global Moderators

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: Hi all

Post by paddyscar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:28 pm

fionamurray wrote:Out of interest, where is this website based?

:?:
Hi Fiona and a Warm Welcome to TalkingScot :D

This website was established in December 2004, following the closure of the forum on ScotlandsPeople.

A group of dedicated individuals from that discussion group decided that it would be a good thing to continue, so here we are almost 5 years later, still going strong.

Our Moderators and Administration Group are all volunteers. These groups have changed over the years as people move on, but we are the benificiaries of their vision and dedication. We have 3350 members and just recently saw our 100,000th post.

The Admin Group is currently made up of AndrewP, Edinburgh; LesleyB, Scotland; Marilyn Morning, Rhode Island, USA; Paddyscar, Northern Ontario, Canada. The systems are managed by AndrewP.

AndrewP and Marilyn Morning have been involved since Dec. 2004 and Lesley and I joined in 2005.

We hope you enjoy our site, and look forward to helping you with your queries, and to your contributions to the board.

All the best,
Frances (Paddyscar)
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

fionamurray

Post by fionamurray » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome Frances :) After 8 years of research, I can't think of any unanswered questions but I do like to keep my hand in and see what everyone else is up to :lol:

Best wishes
Fiona
Murray, Mcleans and more!

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:54 pm

fionamurray wrote:Thanks for the warm welcome Frances :) After 8 years of research, I can't think of any unanswered questions
It's nice to know that you have covered all the leads (I wish I had). However, should you come across a wee brick wall (even only an inch tall) we are only too happy to try and help.

Perhaps as important; May I say, with 8 years of research experience behind you, any help or "pointers in the right direction" you might be able to offer other members would be much appreciated.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Kellycat

Where did I find you?

Post by Kellycat » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Hello everyone

I'm so glad that I recorded 'Who Do You Think You Are' with David Mitchell last week! I was then able to rewind to the section where he appealed for info on the Mitchell family & there you were, 'Talking Scot'!

I have spent the last three years (on & off) researching my family tree on Scotland's People and look forward to filling some blanks with your help perhaps?

Happy to be a member and to future chats :D

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:32 pm

Hi Kellycat,

A warm welcome to Talking Scot.

Well we all love wee mysteries and, if we can, we'll do our best to try and point you in the right direction.
[b]Mary[/b]
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Suzybee

Post by Suzybee » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:27 pm

Hello everyone

I also came across TalkingScot when watching David Mitchell's Who Do You Think You Are. I put a lot of effort into researching my family tree a couple of years ago, but haven't done much since then. I am hoping that reading this forum will get me back into it! [sherlock]

Sue

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:59 am

Hi Sue,

[TS_welcome]

We all try to point you in the right direction, mainly because we all started with little or no knowledge ourselves and found that TS was an unequaled fount of research advice.

With our own desire to find our own family history, many of us have discovered, or been advised on this forum, how to make the best use of the facilities available to us.

We are all here to help...

enjoy the search

Regards,
[b]Mary[/b]

walnut

Post by walnut » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:40 pm

Hello, I'm another member recruited by David Mitchell! Have been reading loads of older threads and am amazed at all the interesting and difficult research with which members have been successful.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:57 pm

[TS_welcome]
Hi Walnut and a warm welcome to TalkingScot. [scotland-flag]

You are joining an exceptionally nice group of people who are always willing to help when they can.

Enjoy!

Regards,
Anne H

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: Where did you hear of TalkingScot (2009)

Post by AndrewP » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:52 pm

2010 posts moved over to new post.

Where did you hear of TalkingScot (2010)

All the best,

AndrewP