WWI & WWII POW Records

All matters military, militia, regiments and the like. Army, Navy, Air Force etc.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Montrose Budie

WWI & WWII POW Records

Post by Montrose Budie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:35 pm

FindMyPast have just added POW records to their website.

It looks to me like the WWI records refer to officers only; but the WWII records refer to all ranks.

It's far from clear from the FMP website but I suspect that the WWII records refer only to POWs captured by the German Armed Forces, i.e. they may not include Japanese POWs.

As I'm keen to explore these records, is there anyone out there with WWI officer or WWII all-ranks German POWs?

The amount of info available appears to be relatively minimal, e.g. -

First Name(s):D.
Last Name:Webster
Camp No.:4F
PoW No.:274941
Soldier No.:1.4381503E7
Record Office:Infantry Record Office, Perth (I have no idea what this means)
Camp Type:STALAG
Camp Location:Hartmansdorf Chemnitz
Regiment:The Cameronians

Reference is made to more info being available in some cases.

mb

Ina
Global Moderator

Re: WWI & WWII POW Records

Post by Ina » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:39 am

David,

My friends father Bernard Pollock from Greenock was a German prisoner of war for several years during WWII

Ina

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Ina wrote:David,

My friends father Bernard Pollock from Greenock was a German prisoner of war for several years during WWII

Ina
The only possible match is, -

First Name(s):J. B.

Last Name:Pollock

Service:8th Battalion. Black Watch

Section:WESTERN THEATRE OF OPERATIONS.

Date Missing:22/03/1918

Repatriated:29/11/1918

Not very informative.

mb, not David

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:05 am

Thanks for checking MB, but this isn't him as he was a prisoner during WWII

Regards,

Ina

nanville

Post by nanville » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:49 am

I had two relatives that were pow's in the second world war,the first was malcolm elliott from glasgow i think he was captured by the japenese.the second relative was james bruce also from glasgow he was captured by the germans.
any info would be great thank you.

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:27 pm

Hello mb,

Is the soldier's 'regimental number' included in the 'Soldier No.:1.4381503E7' bit?

I was thinking that it would possibly assist if people offering to help your exploration included the rank, regiment, and regimental number as well, if known.

For Scottish regiments, and using surname and number, and sometimes place of residence, it's possible to find them in the POW lists in The Scotsman.

All the best,
Alan

LATER.
The Scotsman's WW2 casualty lists only appear to have regiment, rank, initials, and surname.
Those for WW1 appear to have the above plus regimental number and sometimes place of residence of next-of-kin.
What's reported probably varies over time.
Alan

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:27 pm

Currie wrote:Hello mb,

Is the soldier's 'regimental number' included in the 'Soldier No.:1.4381503E7' bit?
Good question, - don't know !
Currie wrote:I was thinking that it would possibly assist if people offering to help your exploration included the rank, regiment, and regimental number as well, if known.
Agreed !
Currie wrote:For Scottish regiments, and using surname and number, and sometimes place of residence, it's possible to find them in the POW lists in The Scotsman.
Thanks. I hadn't realised that they covered all Scottish POWs.

mb

Currie wrote:LATER.
The Scotsman's WW2 casualty lists only appear to have regiment, rank, initials, and surname.
Those for WW1 appear to have the above plus regimental number and sometimes place of residence of next-of-kin.
What's reported probably varies over time.
Alan
Most interesting, thanks.

mb

Montrose Budie

Post by Montrose Budie » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:39 pm

For Malcolm ELLIOTT, there are no matches.

Incidentally, some possible hits that came up in the index included "British Army held in German territories", so that I guess that if there are any Japanese records they will have an appropriate alternative.

For James BRUCE, the index has a pile of matches, -

Bruce G. J. Rifleman Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories
Bruce J. Private Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories
Bruce J. Private Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories
Bruce J. Sergeant Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories
Bruce J. Flight Sergeant Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Navy & Air Force Officers
Bruce J. Major Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories
Bruce J. A. P. Driver Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories
Bruce J. D. Gunner Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories
Bruce J. F. S. Rifleman Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories
Bruce J. J. Private Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories
Bruce J. J. Driver Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Army held in German territories
Bruce J., D.F.M. Warrant Officer Prisoners of War 1939-1945 - British Navy & Air Force Officers

For a B POLLOK in WWII there's only one possible entry, -

First Name(s):W. B.

Last Name:Pollock

Camp No.:4A

PoW No.:7551

Soldier No.:1520846

Record Office:Royal Artillery (Coast and Searchlight), Corps of Military Police and Military Provost Staff Corps Record Office, Savoy Hotel, Bournemouth (this at least sheds more light on the meaning of the earlier Record Office:Infantry Record Office, Perth, for the WEBSTER example.)

Camp Type:STALAG

Camp Location:Hohenstein

Regiment:Royal Artillery
© Naval and Military Press Ltd

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:48 pm

so that I guess that if there are any Japanese records they will have an appropriate alternative.
I'm not convinced that there are Japanese POWs listed there. I had a relative who was a POW of the Japanese in the Phillipines, and there is no sign of him in a search. Not sure if it would be differnent for POWs who were held in Japan.

Best wishes
Lesley

bleckie

Post by bleckie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi all

The national archives have details

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/reco ... 9-1953.htm

The infintry records office used to be in Atholl street in Perth

Yours Aye
BruceL