lothian family,kingsbarns Fife-Canada

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

larabl

Post by larabl » Thu May 01, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi everybody
Researching my family,I understand someone from Canada is researching the same family, kingsbarns, my great grandparents were John Lothian and Agnes Horne, perhaps we could help each other.
Kind regards
Larabl

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu May 01, 2008 6:26 pm

Hi larabl,
Welcome to Talking Scot! [talkingscot]
What kind of dates are we talking about here? If you have any specific questions about this family, don't hesitate to post them. We look forward to trying to crack your brick walls!

All the best,
Sarah

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu May 01, 2008 11:20 pm

Hi larabl
..and a warm welcome to Talking Scot :D

The following on Rootsweb may of interest (one in Australia and one in UK, so not quite Canada...yet) :

http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... 1&id=I1913
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin ... 37&id=I506

Best wishes
Lesley

larabl

Post by larabl » Fri May 02, 2008 12:18 pm

Hi Sarah
Thanks for your reply.
I am sorry I made a mistake with one name, it's Robert Lothian & Agnes Horne Married 31 Dec 1858
Lived at Kippo Farm Kingsbarns.
Robert b;1832
d;1900

Agnes
b;1831
d;12 Jan 1911

Kind regards
Larabl

larabl

Post by larabl » Fri May 02, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi Lesley
Thanks for your reply you have been a great help, info given are my Grandparents add to that list of siblings Margaret &(Elizabeth b:1907 my mother
I was a foster child)

I made a mistake with my 1st notice "sorry" G grandparents are Robert & Agnes Horne lothian, Robert D:2 april 1900
Agnes D: 12 Jan 1911
Are you related to this family?

Thanks a bunch
Kind regards Larabl

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri May 02, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi Larabl,
Yes, I see the family in Kingsbarns in the censuses. Robert appears to be the oldest son of Robert, bootmaker, and his wife Jean/Jane ____. He has lots of siblings.

Is there anything specific you are trying to find out about this family?

All the best,
Sarah

Andrew C.

Post by Andrew C. » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:04 pm

You do know Kippo farm is still a working farm? I used to spend a lot of time in St. Andrews and it rang a bell so I googled it and got a few hits.

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:57 am

Here’s an advertisement from the Caledonian Mercury, Saturday, March 27, 1830.

VALUABLE FARMS IN THE EAST OF FIFE TO LET.
To be Let, for 19 years, or such other term of years as may be agreed upon, after Martinmas next,
THE following FARMS of the ESTATE of KIPPO:—
I. The FARMS of KIPPO and COOKSTON, as one farm, containing about 386 acres.
II. HILLARY, about 166 acres.
III. NORTHQUARTER, including the LANDS of LITTLE KILDUNCAN, containing about 182 acres—all Scotch measure, and lying in the parish of Kingsbarns.
These farms at present are occupied by one person, who has been at great expence in draining, cleaning, and manuring them. The fields have been lately, with very few exceptions, amply limed, and are in a high state of cultivation; most of them naturally kindly in grass, and capable of carrying any kind of crop, white or green. Upon the whole, the entry of the incoming tenants will be most favourable. Upon the farm of Kippo there is a most complete Steading, almost wholly covered with blue slates, with a threshing mill; and the steadings of the other two farms will be made sufficient.—Few farms in the county offer a more inviting prospect to farmers of capital and enterprise. These farms lie within two miles of Kingsbarns, three of Crail, five of Anstruther, and seven of St Andrew's, being all shipping ports, and from whence manure may be readily obtained. Lime is also to be had in the neighbourhood; and there are regular weekly corn markets at St Andrew's and Anstruther.
Offers of rent in grain or money, or partly both, either for the whole of the three farms, or for the first two in one farm, or for each separately, may he given to Mr Charles Grace, town-clerk of St Andrew's, on or before the 1st of June next.
One half of the rent in grain, and the other in money, would be preferred.
James Balfour, at Kippo, will point out the boundaries of the farms.

Hope that’s interesting,
Alan

BLothian

Re: lothian family,kingsbarns Fife-Canada

Post by BLothian » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:59 pm

larabl wrote:
Fri May 02, 2008 12:18 pm
Hi Sarah
Thanks for your reply.
I am sorry I made a mistake with one name, it's Robert Lothian & Agnes Horne Married 31 Dec 1858
Lived at Kippo Farm Kingsbarns.
Robert b;1832
d;1900

Agnes
b;1831
d;12 Jan 1911

Kind regards
Larabl
Hi Larabl

I have been researching my family tree. The Robert Lothian and Agnes Horne are also my great great grandparents. It would be great to hear from you. I found that Agnes Horne had a daughter and called her Agnes Lothian. She gave birth to George Lothian in 1886 and he married a lady called Isabella Walker Robertson in 1914. They had a son called Robert Robertson Lothian in 1921. This is my grandad.

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: lothian family,kingsbarns Fife-Canada

Post by SarahND » Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:21 am

Hello BLothian and a warm [TS_welcome]

Larabl hasn't signed into the forum since May of 2008 :( but there is a slight chance this message will trigger a reminder email that will bring her/him back. Fingers crossed!!

In the mean time, if there are any specific questions or puzzles you have related to this family, don't hesitate to ask! We love a good puzzle. :D

Best wishes,
Sarah